1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Trailer Rated Truck tires?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by BluBurb89, Aug 8, 2009.

1. BluBurb89

BluBurb89 Rockstar 100 Posts

When I bought my 7x16 enclosed dual axle cargo trailer, the dealer looked at the tires on my '89 R1500 and said that even though they are in good condition; I should replace the LT235/75 R15 M&S tires in the rear with a trailer rated tire. He doesn't sell tires nor did he try to steer me to anyone. This is my 1st large trailer and I bought a 6x12 utility from him and he said nothing about tires then; I sure am not asking any tire salesmen about this.
    What was he talking about? Is this a valid statement and if so, why?
    Ted

2. cindon27

cindon27 New Member

3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

He's nuts. Trailer (ST) are bias ply tires for trailer only.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm not sure the dealer knew what he was talking about, trailer rated tires are rated for trailers and intended to counter the unique stresses that are placed on tires while being towed.
    I wouldnt recommend you swap tires. In some states it's actually illegal to use trailer rated tires on drive or steer wheels.

5. BluBurb89

Cindon27,Thanks!

6. BluBurb89

2COR517 & tbplus10'
    Thanks for the replies.

7. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

you will be fine with a LT tire

8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Cindon and tbplus have the right idea. However, depending on the weight of the trailer and what gear you have in your rearend on the truck, the truck may only be rated for so many pounds of trailer load anyways.