Trailer running lights question

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by Ridyn, Jun 12, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. Ridyn

Ridyn New Member 100 Posts

I have a 2012 Silverado crew cab with the HD towing package and cooler and the 3.42 gears, I had connected my fathers trailer after re-wiring it for him, and every light worked except for the running lights when the headlamps were on.

However when I connected the trailer to my sisters truck which is an older model like a 2002 ext cab, it worked just fine.

Question here is, do I have to have a special type of hitch connected so the truck knows that it's about to tow in order to engage the running lights for the trailer connection in the rear or do I need to take it to the dealer so they can have a look to see if it was even installed correctly from the factory?

Please respond asap, I haven't pulled a trailer yet and this was supposed to be the first time...so I have never messed with the truck for towing until now.
  2. The Heater

The Heater New Member 100 Posts

Running light circuit is not getting power. For some reason on your new truck it sounds like the plug has that connection in a different location than what your trailer thinks it is supposed to be. At this point, I take my truck to my auto electric guy. Of course, he may want to take a look at my wiring job on the father's trailer, or suggest trying your truck plug on a different trailer to see if the problem persists.
  3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Have you checked your fuse for the running lights if you have one?
  4. dpeter

dpeter New Member 100 Posts

Try looking here, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/5011-Trailer-Wiring-Diagrams-Pinouts . Before you start changing wiring on a new vehicle I would make sure the trailer wiring complies with the diagrams in this post. I don't know the history of the trailer but if it was normally towed with sisters truck then maybe it was wrong and trailer was wired to work with it. If you have electric brakes then make ABSOLUTELY sure it is wired correctly, last thing you want is turn signals working the brakes.
    Good luck and be safe.
  5. dpeter

6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

7. dpeter

even better!
  8. Ridyn

Ridyn New Member 100 Posts

It was a fuse that was blown out! Had the dealer look at it, I felt like a dumb butt of course.

They even made sure that it wasn't the vehicle making t blow the fuse, so I guess I'll just try it again tomorrow when I go pick up the trailer.

If I'm correct, it was my fault the fuse blew anyway >.> good story for a different day though!

Thanks for all the input as all guys!!!