1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trailer/Tow function won't engage

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Tommy Panfish, May 2, 2012.

1. Tommy Panfish

Tommy Panfish New Member

04 Yukon, 185k. Pulled the boat out of winter storeage last weekend. Hit the trailer/tow button and nothing happened, no light, trans didn't shift, nothing. I pressed the button a few different times, nothing. Not sure if this is related, but I had the carrier bearings replaced in the front diff earlier this spring. Any relationship? I searched around here and didn't see much. Maybe a bad wire in the column? Anybody have any ideas?
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Tommy, as you mentioned, what's most likely happened is, the Wire that runs from the Tow Haul Button, down the Shifter and then down the Steering Column and then down to the base of the Steering Column and overtime the Wire will get Pinched and/or Frayed, and then finally Break.......Here's a Picture of where the Wire is located, at the base of the Steering Column,

[​IMG]

There are two Very Small Gauge White wires inside the Orange sheathing..........to fix it, just stripped the wires back, twisted together and then soldered them back together and you should be good to go.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  3. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member 100 Posts

If that does not work, a new shifter costs around $106. I've been thinking of trying to apply something to the wire itself to help make it a little more durable.
  4. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I agree with what both Mike and Jimmeh have said. When you solder the wires back together, I will warn you that it may not stay together the first time. Because the wires are so fine and they kept breaking, I had to solder them back together 4 times over the course of a couple years when those wires broke on my Silverado
  5. Tommy Panfish

Tommy Panfish New Member

Thanks fellas. I'll take a look this weekend and report back. Perfect pics....I really appreciate it.
  6. BillD64

BillD64 Member

Probably should splice them back together with a crimp splice Vs soldering. Solder takes away flexibility and makes the wires easy to break again.

Bill
  7. Tommy Panfish

Tommy Panfish New Member

Well...I finally took the lower dash apart.......pulled the sheathing back and the wires look good. Connections look good. Pulled the connection apart. Checked for power and I have 13 volts coming out of the pig tail that the wires plug into......so now I'm guessing either the connection is bad or something is disconnected or bad up in the shift arm itself. Before I go and buy a new shifter, does anybody have any ideas?
  8. Enrouk

Enrouk New Member

on my side, effectively i found a cut wire, so i weld it together and the TOW HAUL button is working again thaks guys