Trailer Wiring Harness

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Huntr, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Huntr

Huntr Rockstar

1997 Suburban
    Is this a factory trailer wiring harness?

Wiring Harness.JPG
    I've never seen one like it. Will a standard 4-flat plug fit it? What is the row of 4 round plugs for? Do I need some sort of adapter?

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It's not factory, it's definitely addon. Usually the double-stacked sockets like that have provisions for the 4-flat and 5-flat trailer connectors, but it doesn't appear that's the case with yours. Regardless, not factory. The factory one would be most likely a 7-way installed in the bumper.

3. Huntr

Huntr Rockstar

Thank you.

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

X2, they do offer a flat 4 that was factory, but it was basic.

5. Huntr

Huntr Rockstar

I cleaned it up and in doing so, I was able to see where it is labeled U-Haul. The 2nd set of holes is for their proprietary wirning harnesses. Plug works just fine.

6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Good to know you figured it out. U-Haul has used some weird proprietary trailer harnesses over the years, but they finally came to their senses and swapped everything over to the industry-standard flat-4.

7. Huntr

Huntr Rockstar

Thank goodness. Their wirning harness adapters were a pain in the butt.

8. Huntr

Huntr Rockstar

My scout troop is looking to upgrade to a double axle trailer w/brakes. I have the factory tow package on my 1997 Suburban 1500. I understand from reading on here that the factory trailer wiring harness ends at the bumper, and then a trailer harness is plugged into it. Is this correct? Does the factory wiring harness have the connections for a 7 way plug?