1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trailer Wiring Harness

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Huntr, Dec 6, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Huntr

Huntr New Member

1997 Suburban
    Is this a factory trailer wiring harness?

Wiring Harness.JPG
    I've never seen one like it. Will a standard 4-flat plug fit it? What is the row of 4 round plugs for? Do I need some sort of adapter?
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It's not factory, it's definitely addon. Usually the double-stacked sockets like that have provisions for the 4-flat and 5-flat trailer connectors, but it doesn't appear that's the case with yours. Regardless, not factory. The factory one would be most likely a 7-way installed in the bumper.
  3. Huntr

Huntr New Member

Thank you.
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

X2, they do offer a flat 4 that was factory, but it was basic.
  5. Huntr

Huntr New Member

I cleaned it up and in doing so, I was able to see where it is labeled U-Haul. The 2nd set of holes is for their proprietary wirning harnesses. Plug works just fine.
  6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Good to know you figured it out. U-Haul has used some weird proprietary trailer harnesses over the years, but they finally came to their senses and swapped everything over to the industry-standard flat-4.
  7. Huntr

Huntr New Member

Thank goodness. Their wirning harness adapters were a pain in the butt.
  8. Huntr

Huntr New Member

My scout troop is looking to upgrade to a double axle trailer w/brakes. I have the factory tow package on my 1997 Suburban 1500. I understand from reading on here that the factory trailer wiring harness ends at the bumper, and then a trailer harness is plugged into it. Is this correct? Does the factory wiring harness have the connections for a 7 way plug?