1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tranny acting up in 2nd, doesnt matter

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by graddy, Jul 16, 2013.

1. graddy

graddy New Member

Well I took the truck to work today and started uphill and had to stop so I could turn left. I hit the gas and all I got was BAM< POW>
    WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNN. So now it only goes backwards but not very well on a very busy street. I never been cussed so much before even by my ex wife.
    Took it to my uncle and it seems the sun gear just exploded. New tranny time.
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Just rebuild the transmission. What year, make, and model truck do you have? Chances are, you have the 4L60E if you have a half-ton truck. The sun shell is a weak link on the 4L60E, but there is a heavier, upgraded sun shell available.
  3. graddy

graddy New Member

Its a 91 k1500 4x4 with a 5.7L. with a 700r4. I have reverse but nothing else. Its in the shop and this man has the best rep in town. Cost a little more but worth it. He said he would beef it up since its my work truck. I own a construction company so no truck no money coming in and he agreed. I figured sun gear but wasnt sure. The truck was doing great and the it just happened. Felt like it tried to go into 4 hi while still in 2 hi but i dont know. I just had it rebuilt for $700 and the had it redone cause the rear end locked up so I was in it 1200 and now I will have another 1000 in it. Just dont want to get rid of it. Those trucks are hard to come by with out the vortec so its got alot of power behind it. Plus the truck and my wife saved my life one day when I was free climbing (rock climbing without ropes) in a cave when I fell 45 ft into a pocket, shattered the ankle and broke my leg. Wife went to get the truck, put it 4wd and drive through the woods knocking down pretty big trees and denting the truck, breaking the windsheild and mirrors, tied a rope to the brush guard and tied the other end around me and pulled me out and up the side of the rock face, so yeah I a little parcial to the truck.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013