1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tranny cooler

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by toughwaters, Sep 23, 2010.

1. toughwaters

toughwaters New Member

I have a 2010 Suburban with the 5.3l V8, 6 speed auto. The Suburban came with a tow package but I am curious as to whether or not it has a trannsmission cooler. Are tranny coolers standard now, or should I add one on?

Thanks.
  2. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

For the 2010 Suburban there is an auxiliary transmission oil cooler, heavy-duty air-to-oil, available on all trim levels. It is included and only available with (K5L) Heavy-Duty Trailering Package on 1/2 ton models. It is included on all 3/4 ton models. I would be happy to look into the build of your vehicle to let you know if you have this option. If you would like me to look into this for you, you can send me your VIN for the vehicle within a private message. If you have further concerns, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  3. Big75

Big75 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

it's never a bad idea to add one. follow the trans cooler lines up to the front of the engine bay and see if it goes into the radiator side tank or it goes to an external cooler. might as well flush the external cooler if it has one.
  4. toughwaters

toughwaters New Member

Thanks Tricia this is what I was trying to ask. After doing some research this morning I discovered that I only have the 3.08 gear ratio which answered my question no I do not have the K5L trailering package. So heres my next question, is there anything else I can do to up my towing weight with this gear ratio? I know its a weak ratio but Im stuck with it now.