Tranny Fluid

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by NRC34, Dec 29, 2008.

1. NRC34

NRC34 New Member

I want to change the fluid in my 2005 Silverrado. Should I just change the fliter and add fluid. Or should I also dump the fluid in the torque converter? How do you dump the fluid in the torque converter?

2. ibmoses

ibmoses Rockstar 100 Posts

I was going to service the transmission on my 03Silverado 2wd. After rounding up the filter/gasket and fluid tools etc. I proceeded to round the drain plug off...So if you do it yourself-watch it.

I dont think you can change the fluid in the TQ...
    I carried mine to a local mechanic and left it with him to do. I figure it will cost about $125.00 max hopefully less. I will let you know.

Bert

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  3. jim1958

jim1958 Member

Tranny Fluid & Filter

With my 98 suburban I took it to an oil change place and had them flush the tranny, this is the only thing you can do without voiding the warranty. This is done by loosening the cooling lines in the radiator and connecting their flushing rig to it and eliminating the mess of taking the pan off. It also flushes the torque converter and can be done in about 20 min.

4. ibmoses

No offense but I tink you might be confused about the flush and the warranty...

Me personally, I am Skeered of the trans. flush. No way, no, nope, no thanks, not going to happen.

Bert

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

There are two methods to change the fluid in the torque convertor.

The first method is by removing the trans from the truck, removing the torque convertor, draining it, and refilling it. I doubt anyone would go through this hassle unless they were replacing the trans or torque convertor.

The second method is by having the trans flushed through the cooler lines with a transmission fluid exchange pump.

Contrary to opinions transmission flush is a safe procedure if done correctly. Many shops dont remove and replace the filter with a new filter after the flush, this is important because a lot of contaminants are trapped in the filter afterwards.
    Also many people have the opinion that you shouldnt do a flush on a high mileage trans, again done properly if the trans doesnt already have issues it's completely safe and beneficial to the vehicle.

6. ibmoses

A/C Delco Filter/gasket= $38.00 I could have saved probably $15.00 or so by going to NAPA...

5 quarts of fluid= $16.50, could have saved a few dollars here also. Not sure what kind of fluid the shop used but I am sure it was good stuff.

Labor= $65.00, I could have saved all of that money...

You could probably get a quicklube place or the dealer either one to do it for less.

Bert:eek:ut:

7. smainsw

smainsw Rockstar

I actually am coming up on doing mine tranny fluid replacement, probably gonna do it myself and throw some royal purple in it.

8. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would change the filter. If you are already there you should do it. Flushes are safe and not a bad idea. I have the systmes flushed as needed.