1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tranny Help!!!

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by DocKingCobra81, Sep 17, 2013.

1. DocKingCobra81

DocKingCobra81 New Member

Hello guys! I'm new to this so bare with me. I have a 1996 K1500, six inch lift, 35 in. tires, stock motor (rebuilt), aftermarket shocks, push button 4WD, anti-roll bars. My question is how do I stop the Transmission from being chewed up? I've had it rebuilt different times over a three year period, and I believe that it's just the stock 4L60, with stock gears. Would changing the gears help? Thanks.
    :no:
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What gear ratio are you running in the axles?
    Has the same shop completed the rebuild each time?
    It could possibly be the gear ratio, or it could be inferior parts used in the rebuild.
    Have you ever thought of a transmission swap to a 4L80?
    It might cost a little more than a rebuild but if it lasts longer than what your getting out of your present trans its money well spent.
    How do you drive the truck, is it hot rodded and off roaded a lot?
  3. DocKingCobra81

The truck is using stock gears. They are either 3.08 or 3.73. The same shop rebuilt it every time. They did use Heavy Duty parts. I haven't thought of a swap to a 4L80. What does that come out of? I drive it on a daily basis, so I baby it. I am not into four wheeling. Mostly b/c I don't have the money to spend replacing parts all the time. Thanks to getting back to me so soon!
    :great:
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I ran 38.5's on my 1995 silverado and ate one trans (covered under warranty), but that was before I switched the VSSB module to correct shifting for tire size and gear ratio. Then I switch to 4:46 gears. The trans and motor were much happier after that and I beat the crap out of the truck offroad. Does the 96 have OBDII? If so you might want to invest in a programmer to adjust for your tire size. It not only corrects the speedo but also the shift points.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

4l80 would come out of a 2500/3500 series truck around the same year.
    check those axle gearsfor positive confirmation, 3.73 would be ok with those tires, 3.08 would be very hard on the trans.
    And like Pikey said a tuner will help the trans survive better.
  6. DocKingCobra81

It's a scanner right? The OBDII programmer? This is plugged up to the little electric box next to the steering wheel underneath the dash?
  7. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

****Thread moved to correct forum section****

Something else you might want to watch out for is tranny temp. Before I re-geared (went from 3:73s to 4:56s) with my 35's, my transmission would run pretty hot in traffic and in the mountains. Excessive temps over time will definitely wear out tranny faster.
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

A scanner and programmer are not the same thing. A scanner will just read codes and show you some data. A programmer allows you to change the stock computer program for things like tires, gear ratio, and performance. Yes, it does plug into the place that you mentioned.