Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tranny issue- 116K, newly rebuilt engine, and it 'bumps' like shifting at times....

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Stevodod, May 20, 2011.

1. Stevodod

Stevodod New Member

vehicle: 1999 Suburban 2500 4x4 gov't issue, 4L80E tranny, 350 Vortec- just rebuilt...and the tranny 'bumps' like it wants to shift hard but doesn't shift, usually in top gear. Also, every once in awhile, it 'shudders' like you're going over those highway 'wake up' strips on the edge of the road, but if I let off the gas and then hit it again, it stops....

Any ideas on the issue here?

Thanks,

Stevo:neutral:
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I think what you're feeling is torque convertor chug or shudder. Some do it & some don't. If you get tired of it, try not to go through that rpm/speed so slowly when in top gear. It's not going to harm anything, it's just annoying.
  3. Stevodod

Stevodod New Member

Is it possible that the fluid is too full? I just checked the level, and it's OVER what it should be...

Stevo
  4. stephan

Hey Stevo, I've never heard of high fluid level causing TC chug but I suppose it's possible. How much too high is it & are you using the correct procedure to check the level?
    There's only 2 ways it can get overfull, if you put too much in it, or if your trans cooler in the radiator tank is leaking & exchanging coolant with trans fluid.
  5. Stevodod

Stevodod New Member

I had the engine rebuilt, and put too much in. Not sure how to check it properly. Nothing leaking, that's for sure....

Stevo
  6. stephan

OK to properly check the level is with the engine & trans completely warmed up, & while idling in park on level ground. Just to make sure the trans is completely warmed up takes about a 1/2 hour of normal driving around. Pull the stick, wipe it off, reinsert it for a second & check it. If it shows overfull on the stick drain the extra out because when overfull it tends to make the atf foamy & the fluid may not work as designed like this.
  7. Stevodod

Stevodod New Member

Thanks, I'll check it and see if that helps. I sure hope so!

Stevo