1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tranny issue with 1996 silverado

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 96BlackSilverado, Mar 15, 2010.

1. 96BlackSilverado

96BlackSilverado New Member

i have a 96 silverado 4x4 with the 5.7 The transmission will sometimes come out of overdrive on the highway when Im barely on the gas. It doesnt seem to downshift all the way it kind of shifts down and then right back up. Any ideas what this could be?
  2. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

When I first got my '94 pickup last year (174,000 miles), it seemed to do the same thing. And it was really annoying.

Not real sure what it was, 'cuz I changed everything on the motor. Tossed out the worn out factory motor and slid in a rebuild and gave a little muscle.:gasp:

The tranny I left alone, except for adding some Lucas Trans additive.

Now it runs down the road smoothly and effortlessly...

Good luck...
  3. tommyboy

tommyboy Member

Mine was shifting strange a couple of weeks ago and it ended up being a blown fuse. The fuse box under the hood drivers side has a fuse that controls your transmission. On my 98 it was labelled as engine ??(something) I think it was a 20 amp fuse. I replaced it and been shifting smooth ever since.

Hope this helps. Good luck
  4. doug_scott

doug_scott Rockstar

It will come out of lockup ( that is what you are seeing, not downshifting into a lower gear) if you release the gas or touch the brakes as well. Try it, just touch the brakes while cruising along at 60mph, the tach will immedietely go up a couple of hundred rpm. It is just the torque convertor unlocking.
  5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That's exactly right Doug. It's the converter. What's probably happening is the TCC regulator valve is worn out inside the valve body. Get the truck scanned for codes. You probably have a slip code stored in memory.