Tranny issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Willow9238, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Willow9238

Willow9238 New Member

I feel like a dumb ass but i am about to ask a dumb question? So like a dumb ass i was towing a 6000 lbs trailer wit overdrive on. :great: I didn't know i wasn't supposed to. Now I have a surging when my burb goes into over drive. Did I mess up the tranny or what? How do one balance a drive shaft. How can you tell if it needs o be balanced?

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Try changing the fluids first, they may be burnt or you may have a clogged filter.
    For drivshaft balance you'll need to take the driveshaft to a shop, they can put it on a machine that almost looks like a big metal lathe. It needs to be balance if it causes vibration or thumping, driveshafts almost never require balancing unless they thow a weight or get a dent on them.
    Check the U-joints first, this can cause vibration or thumping also.

3. Willow9238

Willow9238 New Member

yeah, i will try that. The rear was good, and the u-joints are new. so i don't think its that. It's just the srging I am worried about. I don't want to have to find another transmission.

4. Duramax04

Duramax04 Rockstar

Hey neighbor, hows everything going in Marshall ? I`m close to Columbia just outside of Ashland.

5. Yea, you probably fried your old 88 tranny. It was due an update anyway. The shuddering is probably whats left of your OD clutches.Chattering inside your transmission. Get a good reman!and flush your coolerlines! All that cool stuff you did to your engine and no tranny work? Did ya at least install a cooler for your tranny before ya went to the tractor pulls! :) sorry I couldnt resist!

6. Willow9238

Willow9238 New Member

Hey Duramax,
    GM Tech,sorry been traveling for 2 days. No, no tranny work. The tranny was rebuilt 1 1/2 year ago. i didn't think it would be a problem. No tranny cooler yet. I was going to do that in a few days and i have this issue. how do you update a tranny. Sorry not a tranny guy, not comfortable with the damn things.