1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Tranny Issues After Fluid/Filter Change

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by cmcoram, Apr 12, 2013.

1. cmcoram

cmcoram New Member

Just did a tranny fluid and filter change on my 04 Colorado Z71. It's got 125K miles on it and a tranny cooler. Followed the Haynes manual and added 3 qts (mix of LucasOil Sure Shift, Fluid Conditioner, and Stop Slip) after buttoning everything back up, and then ran it, parked, for about 15 minutes. Went through each gear, and held a constant 1500 RPMs, without revving, just as the manual advises. Checked the fluid level and the stick indicated I was good. When I took it out for a test drive last night, I had little power, shift points were all over the place, engine was working too hard (3000 rpms in 4th/OD), and everything was getting very hot. When I got it home, I checked for leaks, and checked the fluid level again. Still full, but now the fluid was starting to turn brown. I'm thinking that the filter slipped, and I'm subsequently burning fluid. Does this sound right?

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would drop the pan and take a look. Have you done a trans service in the past? Some techs recommend not doing it if you have over 100,000 and have not done it before. They say that The dirt in the fluid actually helps things seal and acts as a friction material on the bands. I have seen at least 3 times, one of them being a used car we bought my wife, have the trans go out after doing the service. My wife's Cadillac only had 60,000 miles on it! In all 3 cases the trans did not have any issues immediately after the service. It took a month or 2 for issues to develope

3. cmcoram

cmcoram New Member

I've done them on all my vehicles in the past, and a couple had well over 100K on the odometer. Dropped the pan and redid everything, and now I have absolutely no power, and it threw a P0502 code, which is "vehicle speed sensor A low circuit." I'm at a loss, never had this or any problem when changing the fluid and filter. Shop is on the way to get it.

4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Your VSS switch is on the passenger side of the transmission, it has two wires coming off of it. green/black stripe and black. Your code indicates a short in that harness, which runs up to the TPS and cruise control circuit. I know this doesn't explain the burnt fluid, but I would bet you have a pinched wire in the transmission harness.