1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

tranny issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 1994 suburban, May 12, 2008.

1. 1994 suburban

1994 suburban New Member

how can i find out the weight of my truck, Rear Axle Ratio?

i need to know the weight of my truck to give to the tranny shop so they can build my tranny
    please help

2. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The rear axle ratio will be listed in the RPO codes on the inside of the glove box on the dash. It will be one of the "G" codes. There is an RPO decoder here: http://www.marshu.com/images-websit...codes/gm-firebird-camaro-GM-RPO-car-codes.pdf

As far as weight, in Texas, the empty weight is listed on the title, but I'm not sure about NY. The gross weight will be listed on the sticker on the door, so you could always just deduct the payload amount from that.

3. zippy

zippy Rockstar 100 Posts

In many areas the community landfill (dump) has a scale. Highway truck stops often have public scales, too.

4. 1994 suburban

1994 suburban New Member

Thanx alot guy for the info

5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yeah, I'd just go off the door sticker. It would be the most accurate way to tell the weight. You're going to want the transmission built to the heaviest weight that it might ever be subjected to. That being said, I don't know how you could build a transmission up to a certain weight class. There's only like 2 different sets of parts...regular and heavy duty.