1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tranny jumps rpms when shifting

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bluestreak94, Dec 3, 2009.

1. bluestreak94

bluestreak94 Rockstar

I've got a 2004 Suburban with the 5.3 and for some reason when it shifts from 3rd to 4th and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd the rpm jumps during the shift like the clutch is slipping and then comes back to normal.
    Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?
    Thank you in advance!
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yes it's slipping. First check for trouble codes. Is it full of fluid? If so it's time to pull the pan and check the filter. Is the fluid burned?
  3. poncho08

poncho08 Rockstar 100 Posts

had same prob with my 08 this summer and it ended up being the shift solenoid
  4. bluestreak94

bluestreak94 Rockstar

I have a small obd2 ( got it off ebay ) and the only thing it tells me is that the system is running lean. As for the fluid it's still somewhat red i've got about 90,000 miles on it.
  5. bluestreak94

bluestreak94 Rockstar

Is the shift solenoid expensive? Or is it an easy fix. Please tell me it's an easy and inexpensive fix cause with four kids right before Christmas an expensive tranny prob is not a planned budge expense!!