Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Tranny question - converting 1993 Chevy K1500 from 4L60E to 700R4

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by skystrick, Nov 17, 2011.

1. skystrick

skystrick New Member

Hey there - I've got a 1993 Chevy K1500, 5.7L 350 motor. Originally had a 4L60E automatic tranny. Tranny died, was replaced with 5-speed manual tranny. Wanting to convert back to automatic, but want 700R4 instead of 4L60E so I can control shift points with my foot.

Other than adding TV cable, anything else gonna be a problem? I'm under the impression the bolt pattern and the transfer case and everything is the same for a 1993 4L60E as it was for a 1992-and-earlier 700R4 (or 4L60, non-E, in the case of the 1990-1992 models). Right or wrong?

Steering column and dash gauge cluster for automatic were retained. So all I reckon I need to go back to automatic is the tranny itself (w/ torque converter), the shifter linkage, a TV cable, and a different ECM engine computer?

Thanks.

2. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

If you're wanting to go back to an auto, your best bet is to go with the 4l60e. It's a MUCH better transmission than the 700. Also, you'll have some issues with TCC control unless you do some pretty extensive alterations to the PCM. I'd talk to your local transmission shop for additional info.
    Good Luck and God Bless

3. Chevy Girl

Chevy Girl Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

over my head on this question, what's a tv cable?

4. WARLOCK

WARLOCK Member

Better hang with the 4L60E, less out of pocket money. The 700R4 is a strong dinosaur & good tranny but will cost more money to do.:glasses: