Tranny Question for Yukon & Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by kitrite, Nov 3, 2011.

1. kitrite

kitrite New Member

Im in the market for a used 2004-06 Suburban or Yukon XL. I have noticed many postings (on other websites) from owners who experienced many transmission issues after only 60,000 miles. I have to say that I am shocked. Is the AWD Yukon Denali not built as tough as the typical 4X4 Yukons or Suburbans?

2. Gatito

Gatito New Member

I dont know, but when i bought the Tahoe, i was interested by Cadillac Escalade and 3 different dealers said to me not to buy Denalli or Escalade because i am working with my truck.
    They said i needed the 2 speeds transfer case with the regular transmission because i am pulling trailers on jobs with it.

3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I am not sure why either of you have gotten the information you have. The GM half-ton trucks usually recieve the 4L60E, while 3/4 and 1-ton trucks get the 4L80E. Both are very reliable transmissions, though for obvious reasons, the 4L80E is stronger.

I also don't get why the dealer would say you needed a 2 speed transfer case unless these trailers you tow are through lots of thick,deep mud. The low range in the transfer case is only good up to around 15-25mph.

4. Gatito

Gatito New Member

The denalli and the escalade get another tranny who has the 4weels drive included in. It is not the same tranny then the regular 1500 and tahoe -avalanche.
    I dont know what is the model number.
    And the Tahoe with this tranny is good only for 3500 or 5000 pounds of trailer now.

5. TMair

TMair Member

I think what Gatito is talking about, and he can correct me if I am wrong, is that the Escalades, and Denallis have AWD, wile the regular Suburban, and Youcons have real 4 wheel drive, but I have no idea if this makes a difference to the transmission, do the Escalades, and Denallis have some type of transfer case, or does the tranny take care of it all?
    Terry

6. Gatito

Gatito New Member

The tranny takes care of it all and the dealers said that it is not made to do heavy work like the regular tranny.
    But i cannot say if it is true that it is not as good as the tranny they put with the transfer case.

7. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

The Denali/Escalade actually have a slightly stronger transmission with a higher torque rating called the 4L65E. The 4L65E has a higher torque rating because the Denali/Escalade has the 6.0L V8. The Denali/Escalade also use a NV149 AWD transfer case.