Tranny Question

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by skeeter_29m, Feb 21, 2009.

1. skeeter_29m

skeeter_29m New Member

Will a 4L6E transmission out of a 1993 fullsize truck with a V-8 throttlebody work in a 1995 S-10 4.3 throttlebody?

2. KirkW

KirkW Rockstar

Physically, it should bolt up. And since both are trucks, the gear-ratios should be close if not identical. However, there may be some wiring changes.

I blew a tranny on my '86 Suburban (700R4 - a 4L60E without the "E"lectronics). I got another 700R4 from a junk-yard minivan. It bolted right up, but I had to drop the pan and move the solenoids, wiring and connector from my old tranny to the new one.

So, in my random sample of one transmission swap, it'll work with some work. My guess is the 4L60E will also require switching wiring and connector(s) between the old and new, but it should work.

Check with a junk-yard - they usually have a Hollander Interchange Manual that tells them what swaps with what. For example, that's how they know that a '95 - '00 Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, and Yukon/Denali all use the same rear axle (by the way - anybody have such an axle lying around?)

3. thatjerk01

thatjerk01 Rockstar

yes it should but like stated above u might have a problem with wiring.

4. k.daddy1

k.daddy1 Rockstar 100 Posts

It will bolt up but there is a difference in the wiring harness that connects to the transmission. The only trans that will work in a 95 is one from a 95 full size/mid-size. In 95 they were changing over to the 96 configuration and the difference is the number of pins in the connector. Pre 95 trans. won't work in your truck because of this. Sorry for the bad news.