1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

tranny rebuild now

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by L0sts0ul, Mar 19, 2007.

1. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey guys,

I was wondering something, 93 burb, 350m 4x4 and Im pretty sure its a 4L80-E.
    Is there a way I could stick say a turbo400 or a 700r4 in there without a lot of modifications or would I have to stay stock?

and if I have to stay stock, what are available for shift kits? and 1 more thing, if I Was plannin to work this motor up to about 400hp, which would you suggest to do anyways?

thanks again
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If your burb is a 1500 then you're more than likely going to have the 4L60E.
    The easiest way I know to tell for sure if to crawl underneath the burb, and count the bolts on the pan. The 4L60E will have a 16 bolt pattern, and the 4L80E will have a 17 bolt pattern. Also the 4L60E will have more of a square shaped pan, and the 4L80E will look more like an elongated "D".

If you have the 4L80E, I would say it should be able to handle the 400hp no problem. But I've heard it's also a "power robber" it takes a lot of torque to twist the gears. The 4L80E is the same trans that they use in some of the buses, and RV's. So it can handle the torque, and hp.
    But you might want something a little more forgiving, like the 700.

Attached Files:

3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

4. 4bybox

4bybox New Member

Newbie Burb owner needs tranny help

Hello,

Picked up a '91 'burb1500 about a year ago. Recently began sticky shifting (up to 30 MPH in 1st). Had tranny filter changed and still doing it.

Previous owner had tranny rebuilt about 6 years ago.

Details on model: 350, TBI, 4wd auto with overdrive. Based on the bolt pattern info above, I think I have the 4L60E.

What is the next step, short of a tranny overhaul? Is there a procedure on the beast out on the internet somewhere? I would like to find out if I can access the 1st gear band adjustment, or something like that, without pulling the tranny.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS: Any tips on where to start on the cig lighter outlet. It had been weak (running only my cell ph charger, but not a small inverter I got at Home Depot) and now it is completely dead. I didn't find any bad fuses in the underdash panel.
  5. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

No band adjustment on the 4L60E or 4L80E. Might be a TV cable issue/adjustment. This adjustment is best left to a pro.

As far as the cig plug, I had a similar problem. The clip on the back of the cig socket came loose. (Troubleshooting 101: Make sure the equipment is plugged in!):glasses:
  6. 4bybox

4bybox New Member

Um, what's a TV cable? :gasp:

Was hoping for an online manual or primer or at least a good thorough thread on it. Appreciate a heads up if you think of anything.

BTW, is there "flagging" on this forum?

I poked around looking for something like that... didn't spot anything along those lines. I'll get my circuit tester out and have a go at it (lower priority right now).
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

as someone who has a similar suburban (91 burb, but 2WD) and similar issues after putting a rebuilt one in, I can tell you that you should probably spend the 100 bucks or so and get a good shift kit that has the replacement springs and valves and such for the valve body. My truck was shifting VERY late 30mph for 1-2, 2-3 at around 50 mph. Dropped a shift kit in the valve body in an effort to improve and rebuild it, and so far it seems to have worked. Also make sure the TV cable (AKA a downshift or detent cable, even though both terms are incorrect) is adjusted correctly. It's the only link between the transmission and engine that tells the transmission what's going on and what to do. The shift kit install isn't very difficult, but keep reading them until you understant exactly how to install it. you're probably going to have to replace the separator gaskets. refer to my recent threads for information on how to get things done.
  8. GoFastPadre

GoFastPadre Rockstar 100 Posts

I agree that you should leave the adjustments to a pro. You could look at www.finishlinetransmissions.com You will find that the 4l60e can be set up for some significant HP boost. Swaping it out for a 4l80e will not be difficult check out the front page of www.ls1truck.com for complete instructions. I would say whoever said thet a 4l80e was a power robber did not know what they were talking about. www.oregonperformance.com is a very good place to look for trans mods ie: shift kits and servos.
  9. 4bybox

4bybox New Member

Thanks Crawdaddy, I appreciate it. While I'm scratching my head over all this I thought I'd pass on a thread I found over at EFILive that has some drawings and operation descriptions of the beast. There's a zip file in one post that has more schematics, but I haven't opened it yet (still dnloading...).

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=4304
  10. 4bybox

4bybox New Member

Thanks, GFP. I think you meant http://www.finishlinetrans.com right? Some good stuff at that one anyway.