1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tranny ??s - 4L60E/4L80E vs 700R4

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by omnisi, Mar 2, 2009.

1. omnisi

omnisi New Member

Still narrowing choice down, but I thought specific posts like this may help future buyers.

Which tranny does a 96/2500/7.4L have? And is it that much stronger and , more importantly, trouble free than the 700R4 with moderate use and proper service?

Thanks
  2. scgamer_99

scgamer_99 New Member

as far as i know the 700 is the daddy of the 4l60e and the 4l80e is bigger and can handle more power if you where going with the 7.4l 454 it should already come with a 4l80e as stock i do belive
  3. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

The '99 3/4 ton Chevy had the L480E and I never had any problems with it. I used it to pull a 33' 5th wheel, so it had a good load on it.
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

The 4L80E is bigger, heavier, and able to handle more weight than it's little brother the 4L60. It made for big trucks pulling a heavy payload. The downside is it sucks up more gas and weighs more. If you want a"truck" transmission then the 4L80E wins hands down. If you want to race your unloaded truck on the street the 4L60 might knock of a few tenths compared to the 4L80E.
    Semper Fi............. From a Navy SeaBee <G>
  5. mudpuppy

mudpuppy New Member

I have a 4L60e in mine with a 350. I had it rebuilt to withstand 600hp so i would never blow it again. so far it has been stronger then a 20year old woody in a whore house. I would not use it if i towed alot of weight though. For just like a car or lighter you'll be fine, if more then that then i would suggest the 4L80e. For gods sake just dont get the 700.
  6. omnisi

omnisi New Member

Roger that....
  7. meash20

meash20 New Member

ok stupid noob question time...

How do I know which Tranny I have?

2003 K25 6.0L..

-matt-
  8. scgamer_99

scgamer_99 New Member

check the RPO codes in the glove box or where ever they are in your model that will tell you
  9. THier

THier New Member

Ok how about swapping,,, I have a 1996 1500, I'm going to do a 383 small block, thinking of going 4L80. Is it a direct drop in,, I know it will bolt up,, but how about the controller?

Thanks,
    Tom
  10. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

Your stock control system will not work. There's aftermarket controllers available. I would look into getting a GM computer from another truck with a 4L80 transmission and have it programmed to work in your truck. I have heard of this being done but I don't know the particulars.