tranny stuck in gear...

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by mr.copenhagen, Apr 10, 2007.

1. mr.copenhagen

mr.copenhagen Rockstar 100 Posts

hello again..im having some problems with my auto tranny on my 1990 K1500..it seams that it is stuck in 3rd gear. what might it be, is it hard to fix and how expensive could it get??any help would be greatly apreciated.. when i try accelorating at a stop it goes nowhare and the engine is reving high..thanks everyone

mr.copenhagen

2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm sure you already checked, but I need to ask. You checked your trans fluid level correct?

3. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Check underneath truck, side of tranny shifter linkage is free and moving by hand (make sure to chaulk the wheels)

4. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Are you saying the gear selector is stuck, or it just won't down shift any more?

5. mr.copenhagen

haha yeah that was the first thing i checked lol it was alittle low but didnt need ne at all

6. mr.copenhagen

lol checked that..its fine haha

7. mr.copenhagen

well i dont get it because i can shift it into first seccond and third on the colum..but if i throw it into drive..it just starts off in third and wont gear down or nothin lol im confused haha

8. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Sounds like there is a valve or something stuck in the valve body.

Smell the trany fluid and if it doesn’t smell like burnt almonds then it’s probably fine, just needs the valve body cleaned.

A great time to buy a new valve body shift kit.

If it smells burnt then you need a rebuild.

9. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It could be the vacuum modulator “don't know the correct name” it's that round thing on the right site of the tranny with a vacuum line on it. :eek:uch:

10. mr.copenhagen

haha alls i know is that it wont gear down and the truck now smells like **** hahaha its soo grimy i cant stand it lol im just gonna junk that tranny and get a new one