1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

tranny swap???

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by wrenchman577, Aug 13, 2009.

1. wrenchman577

wrenchman577 New Member

I currently have a 92 GMC 1/2 ton 2WD. I want to get rid of my electronic trans. I have a th350 ready to slap in. My question is... will I have as many problems getting it to shift as with the electronic. also want to swap TBI for carburation, any info and help is greatly appreciated. thanks!

2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It should work fine. The TBI does not have a linkage for the kickdown cable. But if you are going to put a carb on, that won't be a problem.

I hope you have thought this through thoroughly. That truck is going to be much different. The TH350 has a taller 1st gear, so takeoff will not be as strong. And no overdrive is going to reduce your top end. A lot.

And I, for one, would never give up TBI for a carb. The TBI is extremely reliable, and simple to work on.

Are you having problems with your truck?

3. Darknesss23

Darknesss23 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

when i first saw this thread title... i thought it might have something to do with lady gaga!!! lmao j.k. j.k. Good luck with what ever you're trying to do!

4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

X2 . I would never give up the TBI or the 4L60E. The truck will be a dog compared to what you have now. The 4L60E can be one of the nicest working transmissions on the road with a few tweaks here and there. It has a 35o beat hands down.

5. wrenchman577

wrenchman577 New Member

the real problem is that i cant tell which trans I have. i have also been given a lot of bad information. i bought this truck a couple of years ago for work. to tell you the truth, i can do more to a bus or a big rig than i care to do with my own lil' truck. I just thought that it would be easier to eliminate computer. like i said, any and all info is appreciated. kinda of afraid to go too far into the trans (not very familiar) but I can rebuild 350's all day for fun. So i'm really looking for someone to tell me its not as hard as i think it is. any sites and links to rebuild info would probably help me out a lot.I'm not a complete novice when it comes to auto mechanics, just not familiar with trans, other than filters or R&R

6. wrenchman577

wrenchman577 New Member

i was told that it was 700r4, i was told that it was 4l60E, 4l60E needs computer to shift, 700r4 does not, someone told me solenoids, someone said servo, bands etc. it just seems likie a lot to ingest at once. tranny wont come out of first no matter how hard you get on it. this happened to me while driving, i pulled over, shifted to park, then back to drive, and it shifted fine as long as i didnt get on it too hard. The next day 1st gear only. changed fluid and filter... no dice! 1st only.
    PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHATS GOING ON HERE!

7. Jimmiee

You probably have a 700. The way to tell is to look for a TV cable. The cable will go from the throttle body down to the transmission. If it's a 4l60E it won't have a cable. Since it's taking off in low gear the first thing to check is the governor. Again if it's a 700 it will have a tin governor cover on the rear of the transmission. Take a big screw driver and a hammer and tap around the cover to pop it off. It's common for the governor gear to strip out. It's a plastic gear. You will see it when you pull out the governor. Take a look and see if it's worn out.

8. wrenchman577

wrenchman577 New Member

gonna take a look and try that now if at all possible thanx!

9. wrenchman577

wrenchman577 New Member

Pulled it

Went ahead and pulled the trans out. It is a 700r4. Now I have to find diagramsand buy the necessary rebuild parts. Anyone know of any such material online? I think the best thing to do is rebuild this, I learned that it is a much better trans.

10. Jimmiee

Search "700" and you will find the thread that joeairforce posted a couple of weeks ago. He posted pictures of his rebuld start to finish.