Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Tranny Swap

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by garren.josh, Feb 2, 2012.

1. garren.josh

garren.josh New Member

My dad has an 84 k10. He is going to a 3.73 gear to help pull the boat in and wants to swap a 5 speed into it. The only problem is I heard that when they went to the 5 speed they swaped the tcase to the other side of the axle. Is this true and if it is what year model can I get a straight axle that would work with a 5 speed and tcase. Thanks for any help with this.

2. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 Member

you could deal with the issue in 2 ways, you could remove the front 10 bolt and swap to a late 70s leaf sprung ford dana 44 axle and put the chevy knuckles and brake parts on it or i have heard but not attempted that you should be able to swap a 88-91 k5 or suburban np208 or np241 which is passenger side drop like he has now, you will need to find one with the 32 spline input (th400 or sm465) or if all you can find is 27 spline from a 700r4 you can swap the input on it, if you use a passenger drop np241 that is 27 spline, you can swap out the input shaft from a driverside drop unit found in the 88-98 gmt400 body trucks with the 5 speed or 4l80e into a pass side 241 case.

stay away from the getrag 5 speed, it was a pile of junk, you want the nv4500.