Tranny Temp Gauge

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by mike4089, Dec 1, 2008.

1. mike4089

mike4089 New Member

I want to install a tranny temp gauge in my 700r4...the transmission is brand new however and i was told that most people drop the pan and braze in a bung and have the sensor in the pan...i dont want to do that however...i was also told some people put it in the hot line of the transmission cooller lines, which i think will work fine....If anyone has a picture of this that would be great...im having a hard time understanding how to get the sensor to be inline in the hot side hose....

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If you installed an external tranny filter, you can get one that has a spot for a temp gauge. I'ts also not a bad idea to upgrade to an aftermarket tranny cooler. It's not a bad idea to put the sensor in the pan. They make aftermarket pans that increase the fluid capacity, have cooling fins on them, and have a spot for a temp sensor. I'm planning on getting one, but I'm probably going to wait until my engine rebuild to do it.

3. BurtsBurb

BurtsBurb Member

Mike, I don't have one in my Suburban, but I did install an AutoMeter gauge in my old 4Runner, using a "t" adaptor (also from AutoMeter) to put the sensor in the line. Some will say you should never cut a transmission cooler line, but I double clamped both sides and it's had no issues in 40K+ miles. Hope this helps.

4. mike4089

mike4089 New Member

i think thats going to be the plan...ill just clamp it down really good and keep an eye on it...i almost have this jeep driving, and with a brand new transmission i really want the gauge to keep a good eye on the temp....Thanks for your help!