1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

tranny temp?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 84Condor, Jan 24, 2009.

1. 84Condor

84Condor New Member

i have a 2009 silverado 4dr 4wd LT1- it has the digital tranny temp gauge and when driving around town the other day i was trying to see how hot it would get, it got to 197* is that normal? the salesman (idiot) said that anything above 150 is bad- well, just highway cruising at 1400 rpm about 70mph its at 143*... just want to know about what is average... thanks boys!
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The trans cooler is shared with the engine cooler (radiator) so temps around 197 should be expected during normal driving. The engine was probably running about the same. Trans temps 220 and up are usually considered high, you'll probably see temps approaching this on hot days while towing. If your worried about high trans temps an aftermarket inline cooler is cheap insurance and highly recommended if you tow with the truck.
  3. 84Condor

84Condor New Member

thanks TB, i own a mobile car wash and i tow all day long down here in the arizona sun, so that makes sense!