1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

tranny temps

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by MoBillyAla, Jul 27, 2009.

1. MoBillyAla

MoBillyAla Member

So I just drove a little over 1200 miles in two days from Alabama to Colorado and I noticed my tranny temp got up to 170+, I thought this was kinda high and have noticed that during normal driving around town my tranny is getting up to the 180's does this sound right or should it be lower. Also does anyone know if there is any tuning I should do to my truck up here in the mile high area of colorado, it does seem to suffer a little in the high altitude, I'm thinking it needs a less restrictive air intake..
    thanks in advance for any advice
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

Not a transmission expert but I'm quite sure 170-180 is perfectly fine. Maybe Jimmie will chime in. Is your sender before or after the cooler?
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

Those temps are normal. Remember the fluid is going through the radiator and your cooler is really a heat exchanger. So your radiator will warm your transmission fluid as well as cool it.

You truck is getting hypoxia at altitude as do most normally aspirated engines. It needs more air! <G>
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

Apologies for misspelling your name Jimmiee. I've done it a few times now. I'll get it after a while.
  5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

You can just call me Jim. :)
  6. 180 is about optimal operating temps. Anything above 230 is way too hot and it's time for a trans cooler.
  7. MoBillyAla

MoBillyAla Member

Thanks

Appreciate everyones advice, guna look into a mass air intake or sumthin like that, only going to be in colorado for a minute, so whatever i get needs to be good everywhere i go..obviously k&n is the big name for intakes anyone else know another brand that works well with the 4.8/ 5.3 ? I am definitely interested in the entire intake replacement not just the filter..thanks again for any advice..