1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

tranny? torque converter?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by tbru323, Aug 23, 2011.

1. tbru323

tbru323 New Member

Hey guys, i have a 97 chevy 1500 5.7 with a auto trans. i was driving last night, doing about 45, in overdrive, and it hit what felt like a neutral, and when i would give throttle i could hear a loud spinning. i put it in 3 and it got me where i needed to go, once i left there to go home, i tried reverse and it made the same spinning noise as overdrive. i went to pick it back up today and i put it in 3 and it was winding and slipping a little. let me add it has 98,000 miles and i just had my trans fluid changed 5,000 ago. any suggestions? thanks alot.
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. Sorry but it sounds like what my '96 'Burb back in 2,000 when the trans needed a rebuild. Have you checked your fluid to see if its burnt? Did you do the trans service? Maybe wrong fluid put back in, wouldn't be the first time someone did this.
  3. tbru323

tbru323 New Member

i had it done at a shop, and it looked red on the dipstick. thats kind of what i was thinking. input shaft. but i would hate to fix that to find out it was just a torquee converter
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Theres a vent on top of the trans, you can't see it from below. See if you see any trans fluid running from the top of trans. This is what mine did because the trans got hot and blew some fluid out the vent. If you have a scan tool that can look at the trans with live data you can see if the torque converter is locking up and if trans is slipping.