1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trans flush, old fashioned way

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Bowtied, Feb 22, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Bowtied

Bowtied Member 100 Posts

Hey guys, I have been reading up on these 4l60e trans and Im trying to get some of its finesse back in the trans. I am curious if the 2004 silverado 5.4 with the 4l60 trans has the detergent in the fluid that requires you keep the same fluid or whether i could say drain it all out of the trans sump old fashioned style and replace it with new fluid (possibly even stick a siphon down the dip stick neck and siphon it that way)

i was thinking about draining a small amount first, adding some lucas oil treatment to do a quick number on the system and then draining it and refilling it with new fluid.

From what i've read people have been getting less than 100k on these trans so i should feel lucky?

is this a no-no?

edit to add: i'm draining the trans fluid a-typically due to the fact that i dont have a mechanic setup to do it the prof. way with a pump or anything
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

At 196,000 miles I brought my truck to my shop who does total transmission flushes using a system that flushes everything and the replaces with new fluid. I also had them replace the filter. Truck shifts like new. These granny's can last for a very long time if you keep em clean and the fluid at optimal temp.
  3. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

there are two ways to replace the transmission fluid 100% . one method that is workable with some toyota vehicles and some others is the power flush method. the fluid is forced thru the system and is replaced . this with transmissions that do not have filters JUST SCREENS.

gm truck transmissions 4l6[8]0 have filters . these need be replaced also the pan and magnet need cleaning, then you do the fluid replacement procedure. at the cooler fluid lines you remove the fluid coming out and add into the fill tube the new clean fluid. when 12 qts are consumed your done. this method does not loosen up particles in the torque converter that will kill the tranny.

a pre 2006 GM vehicle should have dexron III in it. the vehicle should have dexron VI since this is now the approved fluid DO NOT USE DEXRON III AS THIS IS NO LONGER APPROVED FOR USE GM FLUID !

PEOPLE say lots of bad things about these transmissions . I have had no issues with the 2 4l60 that I own. the 1996 and 2000 work great. thing is I removed dexron III when they were new. using mobil synthetic transmission fluid .
  4. Conlan Rose

My shop does the first method which flushes the converter. This is why I had them also change the filter because they said they normally don't. I don't remember if they put in dexron III or iv. Weird thing is my t case is listed to use dexron 3 but that's not what t cases use anymore.
  5. j cat

DEXRON III is much cheaper than DEXRON VI.

If the fluid service did not state what was used, I would say they used the cheap DEXRON III.

I have found some transmission shops still using this product . also using the wrong fluids in a MANUAL transmission just to make a few extra dollars.

This is common with all vehicles not just GM vehicles. you have to be very careful with this . many owners will never know they had the wrong fluids installed. also includes gear boxes/removal procedures on fluid replacement and transfercase fluids in another issue....
  6. Conlan Rose

This spring I will have to flush and replace with IV when I install my tranny cooling system. The t case I will use the IV as well because the owner's manual says to use Dexron III or superseding fluid.
  7. j cat

using your vin # I would contact the GM dealership for the correct transfercase fluid. my 2000 n4wd uses trac II transfercase fluid which is blue.
  8. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 New Member 100 Posts

So I had my trans flushed back in 2010 and I see on the paperwork now that they replace it with DEXRON III, so I am guessing that I need another flush to get it corrected. Would you suggest a filter change also even with only 53k?
  9. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have always used what the specific vehicle calls for, my 2500HD calls for the expensive crap. My Colorado called for Dexron 3, so that is what I put back in it after the stall converter, rebuild and upgrade. 16 quarts of it, dealer told me to stick with what it specified which was 3.

before this happened I had bought 20 quarts of B&M Quick Shift synthetic transmission fluid, which I was going to use until I was advised not to by the transmission builder 40+ years experience, and also the Chevy dealer recommended returning it which I did.

I know nothing about transmissions, just listened to the pro's PLUS they would not warranty the transmission with synthetic fluid. Just my opinion...:sign0023:
  10. Conlan Rose

I'll ask my dealer what they think I should use. Thinking about it the tranny has lasted 198,000+ miles with Dexron III in it. Truly either Dexron III or IV would be the spec for the 4L60e. We do have a [MENTION=37117]GM Customer Service[/MENTION] rep on here that might know the right answer from the source.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013