1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trans in Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by R3dn3ck, Jul 11, 2011.

1. R3dn3ck

R3dn3ck New Member

has anyone needed to rebuild or replace there trans in there suburban or truck with a L40 trans cuz mine lost thrid and fourth gear. Just wonderin if anyone esle with a 93 burb or truck had this problm cuz it only has 170000miles thank you for your posts
  2. whymeintrouble

whymeintrouble New Member

my parents 94 2wd had around 150k when the first rebuild happened, it has had 2 since i think, one caused by a fluke. it has around 250k+ on the burb. I believe all they did was a rebuild every time. not real expensive, but still a pain in the butt to get done.
  3. R3dn3ck

R3dn3ck New Member

Oh im goin to take it to a shop cuz no body wants to do it
  4. 94burbtx

94burbtx New Member

I bought my 94 with 250k in Sept. and a couple days later my tranny went out didn't have first, second, or reverse. I payed a total of $1600 with a full rebuild. New 1 piece sunshield (i think that's the name), and a new torque converter. Running like a charm ever since then.
  5. R3dn3ck

R3dn3ck New Member

hopefully this place in Indina said they can do for $995 so im hopein thats right cuz need her back asap
  6. R3dn3ck

R3dn3ck New Member

with everything done its $1180 thats with taxes wednesday i goin to pick it up
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I'm going to say that's a pretty good price considering the rebuild itself was around $800. Glad to hear you got this taken care of. Transmissions are one of those "black magic" things I stay out of.
  8. R3dn3ck

R3dn3ck New Member

Yeah its sucks, but after this all i need is a new motor and its a brand new truck. Im hoping i can start savin up from the misc. stuff now
  9. 94burbtx

94burbtx New Member

yea thats a good price, i think mine had two drums that couldnt be reused so it went up more... but i honestly didnt price shop either as its a shop less than a mile from my job..
  10. R3dn3ck

R3dn3ck New Member

yup and who would of thought to call a place in one of those adds in Illinois Auto&RV lol