1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transfer case dilemma - Temporary fix

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Arkadios, Jun 10, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Arkadios

Arkadios New Member

I recently put a 5 speed standard in my truck. The donor truck was undrivable so I was never fully aware of the functionality of the setup I was getting, but I took a chance. Anyways, the oil was nice and clean in both tranny and transfer case and the Tcase appeared to have been freshly rebuilt, so I bolted the setup in and threw new oil in both.

Now, the setup works fine but with one fairly large dilemma. When I run in 2H, the transfer case will occasionally grind like when you force something into gear, and sometimes it will drop out into neutral. The Tcase will run perfectly fine in both 4L and 4H, however. As a temporary remedy, I have been running in 4H with no front drive shaft.

Here's the situation:
    I need the truck to have working 4x4 so I can get out in the field, but I cannot afford to send it to a shop right now and I won't have the time to drop the Tcase myself for another two weeks. This is my ONLY truck at the moment.

So I was wondering, what sort of trouble would I be getting in to if I manually engaged and disengaged the front axle solenoid via switch, and just ran the TCase in 4H all the time? The front drive-shaft would always be spinning, but with the open differential it shouldn't be under much load, and I can then engage 4x4 via the solenoid that locks the axleshaft. ( My mind tells me it should work and it shouldn't put too much stress on things )

This would only be temporary.
    Thoughts?

( TCase is NP241, tranny is NV4500, truck is a half ton with 3/4 ton axles. )
  2. Chris Miller

Chris Miller New Member 100 Posts

Well, you'll get rotten gas mileage, and it's not a good idea to drive too fast. Stick to residential streets.
  3. Arkadios

Arkadios New Member

I get rotten mileage anyways. ;)
  4. ChevyHD

ChevyHD New Member 100 Posts

lol definitely keep out of the skinny pedal
  5. RallySTX

RallySTX New Member 100 Posts

Add some Duralube Trans treatment into the diff and case to reduce heat. It should wear much smoother.
    Brian L.
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I had the same issue multiple times with my 95. It would grind on acceleration in 2wd, was fine in 4x4. It turned out that there is a c clip in the transfercase that was popping off of a shaft. The dealer repaired it under warranty 4 times. The same thing happened to my sisters 98 Tahoe. Same clip issue. I think that it took them about an hour to fix it. I wish that I could give you more details, but I have never actually been inside one of the t cases.
  7. Arkadios

Arkadios New Member