1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transfer Case front output shaft seal leaking after replacement

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Family Force 6, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Family Force 6

Family Force 6 Rockstar 100 Posts

My transfer case from Hades situation continues to by my Achilles heel.

Any ideas what would cause a front output shaft seal on a transfer case (NP 246) to go bad after being replaced? I just had the seal replaced about 3-4 weeks ago and the seal that was in there was supposed to be new when I got t-case, but it started leaking after a little time. Could there be something wrong with the actual output shaft/spline?

It's back at the shop now that replaced the seal a few weeks ago, so I'm waiting to hear what they have to say.

Thanks,
    Sean
  2. Family Force 6

Well,it appears to have been leaking between the seal and the case. They used some silicone around the inside of the case as there were small pits and scratches and installed a new seal (this will be the third one).
    If this seal leaks I guess I'll start looking for another t-case. What a PITA this has been.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Who manufactured the seal? I ask because I just had a rear seal replaced (with a NAPA part) .. and it leaked like mad despite being brand new. So, it was replaced -again- with an OEM part and there was no issue. Apparently this is common, as another forum user (dsfloyd) had run across the same thing.

The OEM rear seal cost about 3x as much as the NAPA part ... but was visibly superior in quality.

Perhaps your front seal issue is similar in nature? I'm merely speculating ... but if you've got a leaky front seal and it's not OEM, maybe give the spendy OEM part a look and if it's an obviously better seal ... perhaps spend the cash on it and put it in and see if it makes a difference?
  4. Family Force 6

Not sure who manufactured the seal since the shop ordered it in. The shop did say that they occasionally get a bad seal, which based on your comment makes me think they don't use OEM.

So far it's not leaking, but the last won't didn't leak until it had been in there for 3 or 4 weeks. We'll see.