Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

transfer case issues

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by engineerbrian, Dec 30, 2009.

1. engineerbrian

engineerbrian Member

I'm new to this site so hopefully I'm posting this correctly.

I could really use some advice on my 1995 Chevy 1500 with 220,000 miles, it has a 305 motor and is 4wd. I'm not sure what transfer case or transmission it has.

The other day during a snow storm i engaged the 4 wd drive and drove quite a while in 4wd. During this driving the truck almost stalled coming from a dead stop, and will not shift into 4wd while driving (I need to be parked). I checked the transfer case level thinking maybe it was low, just find out that it was overfilled by about 1 1/2 quarts, and the transmission was 1 1/2 quarts low.

Is it possible to for the transmission fluid to some how leak into the transfer case? If so what is the name of the seal in between the two that would cause the problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Brian

2. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Ya the input shaft seal will let the trans. fill the tcase those tcase aren't to hard to tear down

3. engineerbrian

engineerbrian Member

Great! Thanks for the help