1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transfer Case Leak on 2007 HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by BlueEagle, Mar 24, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. BlueEagle

BlueEagle New Member

Hello Everyone, I own a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD with the 6.0 engine. The truck has 106,000 miles on it. Last weekend I noticed that Front Driver side of the transfer case and the components around it has gear oil deposits everywhere. It looks like to me that it is leaking out of the seal on the side of the transfer case by the boot. I tried to do some research on the internet and here and really haven't found what I'm looking for. Im not a mechanic so i am alittle in the dark here. Does anyone have any insight on this issue, and can it be fixed in the driveway. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you guys,

By the way. Its not leaking enough to leave any puddles on the ground yet.
  2. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

it can be done on the driveway, not to hard just have to have something as big around as the seal to pound the new one in. or if your good you can do it with a hammer carefully
  3. BlueEagle

BlueEagle New Member

Thanks Z71_guy. Thats good to hear. Now what exactly is the name for that seal. Ive found seals on autozone but not really sure its the right thing. sorry for the rookie questions here, and thanks again for the help.
  4. Z71_guy

should be called the transfer case front output shaft seal, has the front driveshaft on it right?

look at part number 710495
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  5. BlueEagle

BlueEagle New Member

yes I beleive so its the seal right behind the rubber boot. I was pretty sure part# 710495 was the part i needed. Is there any certain type of gear oil i should use, Lucas brand etc. thanks again, you have been a big help
  6. Z71_guy

If you have the auto 4x4 option then it should take autotrackII but i dont think the 3/4 had that option. Other wise i believe you can use plain old DexIII but i would double check.
  7. GM-Guy

GM-Guy New Member

Just to be safe, I would check a couple of things first and
    It would helpful to know that TC you had
    Certain TC's had a popular problem with pump rub which wears a hole in the case and many suffer from fluid overheating which both cause it to blow out the vent tube which looks like a leak
    I would recommend you clean everything up first then pay close attention to where the leak is
  8. BlueEagle

BlueEagle New Member

ok great. I will look into that Z71_guy. Thanks again for the help. GM-Guy I will do that, and monitor where the fluid is coming from. and if that is the case. does the TC need to be rebuilt then?
  9. GM-Guy

GM-Guy New Member

Not usually
    Just requires replacing the rear housing [or some have successfully externally patched it], then just pull off the rear case and add a pump rub kit
    lots of right ups on it
    The vent tube exits on top, and common to weep and trail down, expecially if your tow heavy
    again, not saying either is your problem, just an FYI
  10. Z71_guy

the rub hole will be located on the passenger side of the rear case half. didn't think about that since you said it was wet around the seal but at the shop we just had 2500HD come in with that same problem ended up getting a new case half put on and the pump update.