1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transfer Case Leak

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by johnsonjf, Aug 17, 2010.

1. johnsonjf

johnsonjf New Member

I have a 1999 K1500 with a 5.7, 4L60E and NP8, vehicle has 307K and runs great. The transfer case has been leaking from the PLUG,TRFER CASE ACC HOLE(RUBBER). I have removed the plug, cleaned it and the case well and replaced it but I used silicone sealant around the plug before I put it back in and then around the outside of the plug once it was in. It has set for about 24 hours and I will know later if it still leaks.

Anybody else had issues with this? I know the case isn't low on fluid, I just put about 1.5 qts in and it wasn't coming out of the fill hole. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks,
    Jeff
  2. triple-4x4

triple-4x4 New Member

In the same area you described, I seem to remember that people have a problem with the transfer case oil pump wearing through the rear half of the transfer case housing. Check for cracks or a hole in the rear case half which may cause the fluid to leak out.

Look at this information:
    http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cat..._and_parts/np246.html#TransferCaseRepairSaver

Hope this helps :money:
  3. Big75

Big75 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

maybe try a fair amount of thread locker or teflon tape instead of silicone. If infact that is where the leak is coming from.
  4. johnsonjf

johnsonjf New Member

I've found a replacement transfer case, just a couple of questions. The information on my data plate indicates I have a NP8, the data tag on the transfer case shows 246GM. Are these the same transfer cases?

Jeff
  5. johnsonjf

johnsonjf New Member

Ok, looks like finding a NP8 transfer case for my 99 GMC Suburban is more difficult and expensive than I thought. I guess I will be transplanting a manual transfer case into my vehicle. So any recommendations and suggestions would be appreciated. Below are the specs on my vehicle so you will know what I am working with. If anybody has a step by step procedure that would be extremely helpful.

1999 K1500 GMC Suburban
    5.7 L gas
    4L60E transmission
    NP8 Electronic transfer case with 2 rocker switches on the dash

My email address is diverdad84@yahoo.com

Thanks,
    Jeff
  6. Big75

Big75 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Sounds like overkill. is the case cracked? Or do you just have a leak from between two components?
  7. johnsonjf

johnsonjf New Member

Case already has 3 holes from the pump clip. The pump also makes noise and vibration when going down the highway at spped.