Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transfer case noise

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Normandc69, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Normandc69

Normandc69 New Member

I just joined the site as I've gotten a lot of information from being a guest and now I need some help. I have a 04 silverado 2500hd. I'm currently living with what I think is the pump rub leak in my transfer case. Yes it did run out of oil, I plan to verify the leak and patch with silicone to stop the leak for now. Planning to take the case out in the spring to do a permanent fix. Now on to the problem, when going from 2h to 4h while moving, I get a loud crunching sound, doesn't matter what speed I'm going. If I'm stopped, it doesn't crunch. Not being very familar with this case, could I have damaged a syncro or the clutch pack that is in these cases. Trying to get an idea of what I may have broken and if I can get by till spring. Really don't want to have to do this during the winter in my yard. Also, just so you know, I was a mechanic for 17 years before moving to the IT field about 20 years ago.

Thanks!
    Normand
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I moved your thread here as it should help in getting responses.
  3. Normandc69

Normandc69 New Member

Thanks, I wasn't sure where to post it.
  4. mfleetwood

Let's give this a bump to see if it helps. Are you still having issues?
  5. Normandc69

Normandc69 New Member

Yes and it has gotten worst, now I can't use 4H at all, makes a thumping sound. Going to look at getting a used case that has low miles on it. I don't think it would be worth trying to rebuild it, I could spend more on parts the getting a used case. I'll update this when I have time to fix it, hope there are no major storms, I drive 90 miles a dat to/from work on New Hampshire back roads. thanks for the help!
  6. mfleetwood

Sure...sorry about the lack of help you've received on this. Many of our experts were away from the site during the holiday season but it appears that things are starting to get back to normal. Unfortunately, I do not know enough about tcases to be of any help to you but I think you may be on the right track w/your solution.
  7. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I had the t-case out of my 'burb last spring. Ended up being a shifter fork dowel that was loose so I didn't have to break it all the way apart.

If you are getting noises out of it after it ran out of fluid, chances are that either the chain or the bearings are shot. The only synchros are for the hi-lo shift so if you're getting noise in 4wd but not 2wd then that says the front axle drive components not the synchros. Rebuilt cases are around $1,100 exchange or you can get an overhaul kit with bearings, chain, clutches, and the fix for the pump for around $500 and do it yourself. I would not recommend a used case if you're going to keep your truck as the prices are high and they are a weak component.

I have not had one of these cases apart but they don't appear to be especially complex, nothing like an automatic transmission.
  8. Normandc69

Normandc69 New Member

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into getting a rebuild kit for it. I'm still going to see what a used one goes for so I can do a quick R&R (if the used case has low mileage). I shouldn't have a problem rebuilding it as I was a mechanic for 17 years before moving to the IT field back in the early 90's. Did a lot of rebuilds of automatic trannys back then. Also I'm not sure how much longer I plan to keep my truck, she's starting to get cancer and has 230 thousand mile on her.

Thanks!
  9. ni4ni

ni4ni New Member

Tcase oil pump

I have a 03 that only has 37,000 but I've heard so many of these cases get destroyed by this leak that I think I'll get the repair kit now and save the extra bucks. GM had the problem from 97 to 08 and didn't do anything to fix it. I guess the leak didn't happen until after the warranty. I'd be interested in knowing which after market fix you use.
    I joined today just because of this problem and the dealership's response. The power-train teck said that he's done so many that he can turn them out in under 4hr (if they were not run dry), but it still cost $550.
  10. Normandc69

Normandc69 New Member

Thought I would post an update. I've since loss the transmission to a major loss of fluid due to a line breaking and cooking the clutches. I'm currently looking for a used/good transmission and will probably get the transfer case if still attached to the transmission. also I have a new post of converting a manual transfer case to electric.

Thanks!
    Normand