Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Transfer case noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Shiloh24, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Shiloh24

Shiloh24 New Member

I have a 1999 Silverado z71 i just got and i have noticed when you put it in reverse it has a "clunking" noise coming from the TC. This noise also occurs sometimes when i am going down the road and the truck shifts i will hear it (not as loud as reverse). The TC leaks on the front seal where the rear drive shaft goes in but i know there is fluid in there because i have checked it. I was told by a mechanic that the chains are getting worn out inside (after only 126k miles) he said additive may help. What do you guys think? should i chance additive or get it rebuilt so i don't get stranded when it decides to go south? I have a hard time believing the chains get worn out after 126k miles.

2. TnT817

TnT817 Member

Do you have push button 4wd? I always thought that they were belt not chains with the push button.

3. Shiloh24

Shiloh24 New Member

Yeah, mines push button

4. 07XCSB

07XCSB Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The 99-02 came with the NP246 TC, They are chain driven cases, It does sound like your chain has stretched or your U joints are bad. I see alot of bad U joints diagnosed as bad T case's and rear ends. I don't trust 95% of the repair shops out there. If your chain is stretched, go ahead and have it rebuilt. As for your @ only 126k miles. It depends on how the truck has been treated. You can tear something up in 5k miles if your try. Its all about how something is cared for. If you beat the piss out of something, you are going to break things.

5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

id check u joints before tearing into the T-case. 126 k I could see a u joint. the T-case needing a rebuild already? not as much. u joints are easy to check anyhow. if it were me, id start there.

Alex

6. Shiloh24

Shiloh24 New Member

thanks for the reply. The original owner was a retired guy who drove it back and forth to the Refinery everyday. The whole truck is in excellent condition there is no rust or anything. Tonight after work i am going to check the U Joints hopefully i luck out and thats the problem.

7. 07XCSB

07XCSB Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Keep us posted on what you find. Sounds like your truck was well cared for. I have 416k miles on my 99 and I've never had trouble out of my T case, But it's on it's 5th set of U joints. I just put a set in my 07 @ 120k miles.

8. Shiloh24

Shiloh24 New Member

The U joints are fine.. clunking is coming from transfer case :( i raised it up on the lift at work i guess i'll have it rebuilt

9. Shiloh24

Shiloh24 New Member

Well i got a chain and bearing kit put in my transfer case and the good news it needed done because it was wearing the inside of the case. The bad news is it still clunks pretty loud when i put it in reverse. :grrrrrr: While they was in the transfer case they re balanced my drive shaft and put all new u joints in along with an output bushing.