Transfer Case Problem

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Lil_Red_Chevy, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Lil_Red_Chevy

Lil_Red_Chevy Rockstar

Hey guys, so I made the mistake of leaving 4wd hi engaged while changing out my automatic transfer case fluid. My transfer case was noisy before I changed the fluid so I just assumed nobody had changed out the fluid recently. So, I changed the fluid with the oem recommended Autotrak II and took it for a test drive. The 4wd will not properly engage and when I got back I had to top off the tcase again. I can hear the encoder motor working when I press the 4hi button and 4wd will engage atleast to some degree i.e. the front diff engages and I can hear the shifter. However, the 4hi button and 4low button just keep flashing when I try to engage each and my dash reads "Service 4wd."

My question is: am I screwed?

or do I just keep trying to engage 4wd to let the new oil work its way around the case. Isay that cuz my friend had a similar problem in his f150 but eventually it went away.

1 person likes this.
  2. Lil_Red_Chevy

Lil_Red_Chevy Rockstar

I just tried changing the fluid again in 2wd this time and no difference thus far. I'm starting to think its the encoder motor itself. from what I've read they have a tendency to go bad on my particular tcase #246. Still if anyone has some experience with this I'd appreciate it.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Take it to a shop that has a good scan tool. They can manually manipulate the encoding motor if it is OK. Will save you money in the end.

4. Lil_Red_Chevy

Lil_Red_Chevy Rockstar

i figured id try that.

5. Lil_Red_Chevy

Lil_Red_Chevy Rockstar

well just an update/fyi for anyone whom experiences a similar problem to the one I have listed here. It was the encoder motor and it turns out that it failed coincidentally after I changed the fluid. So, that means that the fact that I left in 4wd and drained it didnt have anything to do with it. However, next time I won't be taking any chances and I'll follow this policy: If its got selectable gears make sure they are disengaged when the fluid is changed just to avoid any possible headache down the road.