1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

transfer case problems

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by vtman8, Jul 22, 2008.

1. vtman8

vtman8 New Member

my transfer case hits the bottom of my floor when i jump on the gas and turn left..the truck is a 88 full size 4x4 lowerd and very fast..all the mounts seem to be good
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Simple physics my friend... Your truck is lowered, so there isn't as much play room under the body. Your transfer case, along with the transmission and motor are bolted to the frame, and while mounts are used, they to torque some when you stomp into it raising one side of the transfer case up. The front driveshaft comes out of the drivers side of the transfer case, while the main driveshaft is the pivot. When you make a sharp corner, the body starts rolling on the frame because of the immense centrifigual forces are driving the body towards the outside of the turn. So, when you turn hard to the left while stomping on it, you have several things working to drive that transfer case into the cab with you, and all are the result of something you've done or are doing, be it lowering it, or stomping on it while trying to turn left...
  3. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i agree with above---check your mounts and see if any are bad.or swap to solid mounts or get a race car and race you 4x4.......mike
  4. vtman8

vtman8 New Member

the truck never had this problem until about a month ago...it just started doing this one day...as for racing...i did that on an asphalt oval for 20 years...now i have kids,wife,house trucks...but still gotta have some fun..right ?...lol