1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transfer case rebuild kits [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by TrailLeadr, Jun 9, 2005.

Random Gallery Photos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Does anyone know where you can get a quality rebuild kit for the transfer case. I just had my transmission rebuilt last year, and I was hoping to have the x-fer case done next, but the guy who worked on my 4L80E Tranny wants another $1600 to do the x-fer case. I'm thinking that's a little high, and I'm tempted to do the job myself.
    I don't see the x-fer case being that involved, not like the tranny.

Any thoughts?
  2. Dieselburb

Dieselburb New Member

Why do you want to rebuild your transfer case?
    Do you do a lot of four wheeling, if not, then your t-case should be fine. If your t-case has little use on it then a fluid change a minimum once if not twice a year should be sufficiant for many years. But if you want a project, by all means rebuild it yourself, it's not a difficult job.
    When I find a NP241 for the right price I'll be swapping it in place of my NP208(I like the 2.72:1 low range and it's a direct swap).
    Ron :D
  3. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I actually use it very little, but when my father had the suburban he engaged it once in the winter, and said afterward that when he disengaged it, the two front tires stayed locked in. He took it to a mech, and he was told that the piston was locking up, and wouldn't release. The last time I tried, it seemed to engage, but afterwards it didn't appear that the front wheels were getting any power. Come to think of it since I got the truck from my father, I never did any kind of PM to the x-fer case. I wonder could it just be low on fluid? :?
  4. Dieselburb

Dieselburb New Member

Drain the fluid and check for large metel chunks/pieces etc.. Use a clean drain pan and when it's done draining swish a large earth magnet around in the fluid to see if it picks up anything(e.g. chunks of wore gears). If you don't find anything go ahead and refill the transfer case with fresh clean fluid and take it for a test drive.
    It is recomended to drive in 4wheel 10-15 miles once a month just to keep all the drvietrain parts properly lubricated. With automatic locking hubs when you go from 4hi to 2hi you should reverse the vehicle 10ft to fully disengage the hubs before continuing on driving.
    Ron :D
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Chunks of whole gears? Eeek.
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

So, I never got around to the rebuild. Where does the day go? I never have any time after work! I did however find out more info that tells me that it's not likely that my transfer case is even bad. It seems that it's more likely to be the front differential actuator.
    For those who may be having 4x4 problems, this reference is a nice place to start.

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/PDFs/TSG_chevyK.pdf
    Granted they are trying to sell you their product, but if they're willing to help me determine my problem it's fine with me!

This seems a little more feasable for me to work on during the weekend, rather than pulling, and rebuilding a transfer case. :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.