1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transfer Case Troubles in My Suburban

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by smitht65, Oct 27, 2010.

1. smitht65

smitht65 New Member

Hey, Since I bought "Mud Chukker" I have had problems going through the transfer case gears... For one, I have to make sure the truck is moving before I even attempt to switch between lo and hi 2 or 4, It seems to go into and out of 4-hi 2-hi not too badly, however after the truck is in 4-lo its really difficult to get it back into 2-hi, most of the time I have to go to 4-hi and then back up to 2-hi, even that is difficult, the stick will shift into the proper spot (or so it seems) but when you put the Truck in Drive again, you get nothing, and if you try to pull the t-case shifter back down you get grinding of some sort... if you fiddle with it enough it will go (so far) but Im just worried that one of these days it will leave me stranded somewhere, Whats the problem??????????

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

There is an NP-203 T-Case in the Truck.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sure it's a 203? Shift pattern sounds more like a 205. Plus, 203's don't really have a 2wd setting.
  3. smitht65

smitht65 New Member

T-Case

Yea its a 203, I put a mile marker conversion kit in it so I can take it in and out of 4x4
    thats why I said it has 2 hi and 2 lo, but really the case has lo-loc,lo, N, hi, hi-loc
    Thats what the gears look like.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

How often do you run it in 4wd? I don't know all the details, but the 203 depends on the front output shaft for lubrication. Many guys that do the conversion take off in 4wd every morning and drive for a mile or two before going back to 2wd. I would try changing the fluid to synthetic and see if that helps.