1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transfer case

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Chevrolet, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Chevrolet

Chevrolet New Member

Hi everyone!

I have a 1988 K2500 with the 6,2 diesel and hillbilly 3 spd manual tranny (actually L-1-2-3). As far as i know, the K trucks from around -87-88 have the NP241 transfercase and the earlier with 4wd had the NP205 for part-time 4wd and the NP203 for full time 4wd. Am I correct? And does the 205 and 203 interchange with my 241? I think they should cause the main tranny and the frame mounting points haven´t changed since earlier years, have they? Maybe someone of you guys know better.
  2. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

Give Advance Adapters a call. They'll be able to answer all your questions. Your hillbilly 3 speed is actually one of the best manual tranmissions ever put in a light duty truck. The SM465 was first used in 1968 and used in everything from 1/2 ton pick-ups to 2 ton dump trucks. Keep it, any other tranny you would swap in will be a downgrade in strength.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Do you have IFS or a solid front axle? The 203 and 205 (and 208) are pass side drop only, which means you cannot use them on and IFS truck. The 241 is a great case anyway, no need to change it.
  4. Chevrolet

Chevrolet New Member

I´ve got IFS so then there´s no need for further plans. I wanted the center differential cause with the solid transfercase it will go almost straight forward in tight corners when snowy or icey roads. I was gonna use the HI-Lock mode and disengage my font axles for normal 2wd driving, but i did some research and found out that the case will take damage with the center diff locked for longer time so it wouldn´t have been a good idea anyway. Thanx for the replies any way! And by the way, there wasn´t ever a thougt about changing the 3 spd.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

A full time case would be nice, especially for snowy regions. A decent halfway mod is to install a Posi-Lok in the front axle, or a "dildo" for the winter months. That allows you to get truly instant 4wd with the lever/dash button.
  6. Chevrolet

Chevrolet New Member

The traction is not the problem. The traction is great when in 4wd. But when i have some load on the bed, the rear wheels get better traction than the front wheels wich means the front wheels spinns a little to slow in corners, making the truck tending to slip straight forward. A case with center diff would solve this problem but since it´s not an option I´ll go on with my 241. I use to slide the lever into 2wd when getting to corners and pull it back into 4wd after I´ve gone through the corner. Works fine that way to. I´ve relocated the front axle actuator switch to the dash, so the actuator doesn´t have to go off and on, off and on all the time.
    Case closed. Thanx for replies!

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Ps. Maybe better tires than my 35" Kumho "slicks" would make a difference. :lol: