1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transfer Case?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by rileyjr16, Aug 24, 2012.

1. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I'm looking to replace my transfer case SOON, like before next weekend soon when me and K go to Mississippi and I need to know some stuff. I am finding a few transfer cases but I am stumped to actually which one will fit and work in the truck. I know its a New Process 246 with a 2.72 ratio but I'm being told that I may also have the PO; NP8 which is AutoTrac 4WD. Kinda stumped on what I have and I can't look since the glovebox in the truck is from a different truck. My dad also says that there are 4 different transfer cases that they used for my year.

The tag on the back of mine says NP246; 2.72 Ratio

I am finding manual shift transfer cases from 99s online used for a decent price and would like to know if I can fit this in the truck or do I need one that is push button shift.

Is there something I can use to look up the VIN and determine what POs I have?
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If you have a push button shift transfer case you need to replace it with a push button. There are some vin checkers out there but they aren't always accurate.
  3. Blazer454

Blazer454 Member

If the tag on your t-case says its a np246 then the t-case you need to get to replace yours has to be a np246. Why are you replacing the t-case?
  4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I had that break through while talking to [MENTION=52280]nakranij[/MENTION] earlier. The bearings on the shafts are out and its sounding like there are some werewolves in there at high speed and I now have a nice little vibration in the gas pedal.

Turns out its PO NP1.The thing that confused me was my dad telling me there were 4 different cases used on 99s when in fact I think there are just 2 different ones; auto trac (PO NP8 (New Venture)) and New Process NP246 (PO NP1)