Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

transmision stuck in 2nd gear

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by chevyguy1414, Jan 23, 2013.

1. chevyguy1414

chevyguy1414 New Member

hey guys. i have a 96 k2500 with the 5.7 4L80E tranny. its stuck in 2nd no matter what i do. even if i drop it in 1st on the column. i have read that 2nd is the default if the tranny losses power to the solenoids. i just replaced the input speed sensor and that dint do anything. im going to replace the ignition switch next. i want to take the connector apart and clean it up but i don't know where it is under the truck. i poked around under there when i changed the sensor but i couldn't seem to find it. any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The 13 pin connector is located on the passenger side top of the valve body, you have to squeeze two of the sides together to get it to release. You are correct on the 2nd gear default.

3. chevyguy1414

chevyguy1414 New Member

is it a round connector or a square connector?

4. TRPLXL2

It is a large round plug, should be dark grey in color. It runs up the back of the engine as well, It will be in a 3/8" wireloom. I forget what pins are ground and hot, but there is one main 12v hot, and 1 main ground.

5. chevyguy1414

chevyguy1414 New Member

alright. thank you very much for your help

6. chevyguy1414

chevyguy1414 New Member

I think I have it narrowed down to the ignition switch. I have read you can by pass the switch and use a relay to get power to the ignition. I need a diagram of that tranny plug though to figure out just what I'm doing. Any idea where I can find one?

7. TRPLXL2

I use alldata or Helms manuals for my wiring diagrams, but if you go to the library most them have access to alldata for free. You just pay like $0.05 per page, and can print off what you need.