Transmission Cooler? Need to drain out a quart of Transmission Fluid

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Fitzi722, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Fitzi722

Fitzi722 New Member

So I got my truck back from the dealer and there is too much transmission fluid in it. I need to drain about a quart out. From what I read the easiest way to do it is to pull a line from the transmission cooler. I have a radiator, what looks like a core / cooler for the AC/HVAC, and a small cooler in front of those. It is a 2004 Z71 4X4 with the 4.8l motor. I need to know which of these is the transmission cooler, and which line I should pull at the cooler. Thanks in advanced... Pics Attached
    IMG-20110630-00001.jpg

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The Transmission Cooler is the Small one in the Front/Center in your Picture....sorry I can't remember which line you need to pull??

3. Fitzi722

Fitzi722 New Member

Thanks! Do you by any chance know which line is the line coming from the transmission into the cooler?

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Sorry....I can't remember, what you can do is pull...Dic-connect one line and have a bucket/can to catch any fliud and a friend to hold the bucket by the line you Di-connect, once you start the truck, will see Trans fluid coming out,.....if not then it's the other line....that's the only way I would know which line it would be.

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Let the truck completely cool and then start and hold both the cooler lines with your hands. The warmer line is the inlet and the cooler side is the outlet.

6. Fitzi722

Fitzi722 New Member

Thanks a lot guys

7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Are you sure you checked the level correctly, in park, transmission hot, and engine running? Are you sure that the dealer put a quart too much in? Checking the transmission fluid in any other condition than I outlined will cause the reading to be higher than it really is.

8. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

X2 on what crawdaddy said and make sure it is on level groound