Transmission dipstick recall

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by dock420, Nov 1, 2012.

1. dock420

dock420 Member

I took my truck in for a broken drivers side door handle, and my service advisor stated that there was a recall for a "transmission dipstick tube fracture". He advised me that the recall basically corrects the problem of of the dipstick breaking a weld and allowing it to be loose (by loose I do not mean removed from the transmission, just a lot of play) in the engine bay. If anybody is having this problem, I've typed the service ticket which includes the recall number and part number.

"Perform recall #12138 Transmission Dipstick Tube Fracture
    V2644 Install Foam sleeve on transmission dipstick per recall
    FC: Part # 24262134"

I noticed quite a few threads about this and I hope it helps someone.
    I did get my door handle fixed and see that it is a common problem. My service advisor explained that this is a common problem also, but that the painted handle assemblies were less prone to breaking.

Be safe.

2. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Thanks for the post. Any idea what model years this covers?

3. dock420

dock420 Member

Im not sure what year models are involved. Ive tried to look up the recall notice but cant seem to find a whole lot of information on it. My advisor told me that the recall was issued on October 25 so not much info is out there.

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hrm, interesting. I, too, am curious on the model years. Let's start with your truck [MENTION=49288]dock420[/MENTION]? What year is it? That'll at least narrow the playing field...

5. dock420

dock420 Member

Mine is a 2011, 5.3 2wd crew. The part number seems to work when i typed it into google, just cant find mention of the recall.

6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Ok so it -could- be a NNBS-specific thing...

7. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I am going to call the stealership in the A.M. Thank you for the info.

8. dock420

dock420 Member

Spoke to my dealer who advised me that the recall is for 2010, 2011 and some 2012. It was plant specific on the trucks. Hope it helps.

9. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I was hoping there was a similar recall for the 96 vortex 350 for their oil dipstick mine is no longer attached to the block.

10. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I did some research, regarding the....."transmission dipstick tube fracture" as mentioned above,

From G.M......IMPORTANT BULLETINS AND PIs FOR TRANSMISSION TECHNICIANS:

Its on the 2007"-2011" Full Size Trucks, with the 6L80e Transmission....(# PI0522) Tick or Rattle Noise from Front of Dash, Transmission Filler Tube Cracked or Broken (Inspect Filler Tube, Replace Tube as Necessary)

See the Chart on this and other Transmission Bulletins,
    http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/wp-conte ... mary-2.pdf