Transmission dipstick recall

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by dock420, Nov 1, 2012.

1. 1baddad

1baddad New Member

I had mine replaced on my 2011. Dealer told me the ones most affected are 2010-2011 and some 2012's
  2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

gonna have to remember to ask about this the next time mine goes in.

3. Nargg

Nargg Rockstar

I hate it when my dipstick breaks...

There has been a rattle in the dash area of my 2011 Silverado. I wonder if that is what it is? Anyway, going in for a oil change next week. We'll find out. Thanks for the info guys!
  4. Bslogan

Bslogan New Member

We took our 2011 Tahoe in for regular service and was told there was a recall on the Transmission Dipstick. Tahoe prior to this last service and recall repair has been great! Now we have apparently a SLOW leak. Cannot see it though. Smells horrible! Just drove from NM to Utah and had the dealer there look at, they changed the oil "AGAIN" and said they could not find anything. Drove back to NM and still have the same issue. Anyone else have this problem after this recall repair?
  5. Wayne58

Wayne58 New Member

Mine is a 2010 RCSB 5.3 L 6 Sp built in Fort Wayne and I got a reall notice in the mail >>> my dipstick now has a blanket >>>
  6. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Bslogan ,

Have you taken you Tahoe back into your dealership for this issue?

Evan, GM Customer Service
  7. cindyd

cindyd New Member GMTC Chick

This is my recent conversation with a GM Customer Care from the bottom up. Not real happy with them at this moment. They then have the dealership in which I purchased truck, call me to remind of servicing my truck. lol. GO GM!

Even your subject line states it very well. Thanks for taking care of your GM issues.

Sent: Tuesday, April 5, 2016 3:41 PM
    To: Cindy Duffer <>
    Subject: Re: 2011 Chevrolet Pickup Recall of Trans dipstick sleeve
    Hello Cindy,
    I regret to hear you feel this way. Recalls are VIN specific and are determined based upon your vehicles individualized criteria. Unfortunately, since this is not a recall the resolution still stands. I understand this was not the outcome you were seeking and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
    Alex H.
    GM Customer Care
    On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 12:08 PM, Cindy Duffer <> wrote:
    How is it customer satisfaction program when it's listed all over the Internet as a recall? This is not satisfactory and I will not just accept this. I was never notified of this customer satisfaction program. What a ridiculous response from you. You can be certain that I will be following up publicly on this one. Thanks GM

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 5, 2016, at 10:26 AM, Gm Custsvc <> wrote:
    Hello Cindy,
    I wanted to take a moment to follow up with you and let you know that I spoke with the service manager at Jay Hodge Chevrolet regarding these concerns in your Silverado. He informed me that the repair you have performed to address the transmission dipstick tube in your vehicle was part of a Customer Satisfaction Program, not a recall. Since this Customer Satisfaction Program expired on 10/24/2012, you incurred an out of pocket cost to have this performed. I understand this was not the response you were seeking and truly apologize for any frustration or inconvenience it may cause. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or if we can provide any further assistance at this time.
    Alex H.
    GM Customer Care
    On Monday, March 28, 2016 12:39 PM, Cindy Duffer <> wrote:
    Hello, Yes that work was completed the day of my initial contact with you(See emails below) for a fee of $146.74, invoice #11003, in which I paid for that day 03/22/16, completed by Jay Hodge Chevrolet, Service advisor-Karen Kirkpatrick @ (903.558.0100). I do not feel that I should have had to pay for this Chevrolet recall expense & I am requesting reimbursement for this expense. My vehicle has less than 60,000 miles on it(57,120). Again, I was never notified either by mail, phone call, nor email from the dealership that I purchased vehicle from(Elliot). I have a copy of the invoice from Jay Hodge if you would like that proof of payment as well as completion of broken dip stick tube being replaced as stated in previous recalls. My mailing address is ............. Please make a note to mail any correspondence in relation(any further recall NOTICES) to that vin# TO THAT ADDRESS. I appreciate our help with this matter.
    Cindy Duffer
    Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2016 10:57 AM
    Hi Cindy,
    We appreciate you providing these details. After researching your VIN in greater detail, we can confirm that this service update is associated with your vehicle, but it does show that the repair had been previously completed. To clarify, did you incur an out of pocket expense for the repair that was completed at Jay Hodge Chevrolet? Please let us know where everything stands and if you have any additional questions at this time.
    Samantha N
    GM Customer Care
    On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 12:52 PM, Cindy Duffer <> wrote:
    I apologize, I did not see last 2 vin numbers, VIN# is 3GCPCSE07BG369642. Actually,
    In Sulphur Springs performed the recall repair today as I live in Sulphur Springs.
    Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 11:48 AM
    Hi Cindy,
    Thanks for reaching out to us. We're sorry to hear that you were not aware of this recall on your vehicle. We would certainly like to look into this further, however the VIN you provided us is missing a letter or number. Please clarify the last 8 digits/letters of your VIN and we would be glad to investigate this situation. Additionally, was this repair performed at Elliot Chevrolet?
    We look forward to your response!
    Ashley R.
    GM Customer Care
    On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 12:08 PM, Cindy Duffer <> wrote:
    I took my 2011 Chevrolet Pickup, mileage 56,700k to the following dealership for maintenance on a recall of the transmission dipstick failure. They informed me that the recall was closed in November 2014 & that I would be charged a fee of $147.00. I was never informed of this recall by the dealership in which I purchased the vehicle(Elliot Chevrolet, Mt. Pleasant, Texas). Due to the fact that the vehicle has not even reached 60k miles yet, I would assume that this recall would be covered. How do I go about seeking a reimbursement from GM in regards to this charge? My VIN# is 3GCPCSE07BG3696. My phone number is 903.439.7228.
    Cindy Duffer
  8. j cat

j cat Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

so your upset GM did not live up to its warranty coverage ? drivetrain is covered 5 yrs. I would hope the tranny dip stick tube is part of the tranny. I have the 1984 camaro OEM original owner and no dip stick problems. if a vehicle has dip stick issue at this age and miles you make a written report to NHTSA. Also using these forums you will learn that GM is now making high failure vehicles. you will also see/read that GM vehicles win many vehicle performance awards. they will never ask you how you rate GM. customer satisfaction is a joke at GM !

so when your engine fails at about 75K miles and your told 7K to repair , how are you gonna handle that ?
  9. Bowtied

Bowtied Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

After reading this thread im thoroughly convinced that GM uses their information about components on vehicles ONLY when it is beneficial to them (such as the case of a menial warranty replacement such as a dipstick tube.)

Now, knowing that GM knows exactly what parts are on what vehicles, its simply even more egregious of a fact that they know exactly how many 99-06 truck's are affected by the CASTECH head debacle, and likely know, of those, which specific ones are affected.

This is just another feather in GM's devil's cap because many people are still driving these time bomb castech trucks and either have no idea they're driving one, or, like myself, are worried that I might have one, and do not wish to rip the valve covers off just to check.

It would be nice, since GM obviously keeps detailed inventory information such as this, to know which vehicles/vin's are affected that way, supposing in the future i want to buy another 99-06 truck, i could tell right off the bat whether the truck is a confirmed castech head model.

sorry to thread jack, just want to vent because it is clear that GM has the data necessary to do the stand-up thing, but isnt.
    thegawd and j cat like this.
  10. j cat

j cat Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

according to the new GM beech General Manager the new GM is not responsible for any old Gm FAILURES .

SO after the bankruptcy GM only then , is GM responsible. Now if the old GM did commit a crime ,violated DOT laws then , they could be sued for damages .. like the ignition switch failure , that caused about 100 deaths .
    The US government did not continue with this investigation , which is typical since GM is sleeping with the U.S. congress. if it were you or I had a business and 100 people got killed due to our irresponsible actions we would be in jail a very long time.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    thegawd and cindyd like this.