1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

transmission electrical problems, suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by kawasaki_kid, Oct 24, 2010.

1. kawasaki_kid

kawasaki_kid New Member

Got in the ole 98 silverado this morning, no gear indicator light, hard shift(shudder) into D, and apperantly stuck in 3rd gear. just had my trany totally rebuilt in july($1700), so i call the Mech. for warrenty. Turns out im on day 93 of a 90 day warrenty, good guy is gonna help me out anyway. I explain the symptoms he tells me tranny is fine, its electrical. so i go get the codes read and this is what it said...

-02 heater circut malfunction(non related i assume)
    -TCC circut malfunction
    -Shift solenoid A circut electrical
    -Shift solenoid B circut electrical
    -Manufacturer control transmission
    -Shift/Timing Solenoid Malfunction

I have been told its likely a problem with a power wire. Has anyone had expearience with this before? where should i start looking? or should i just take it in to a mech?
  2. kawasaki_kid

kawasaki_kid New Member

well turns out it was the ignition switch, or a problem in its harness. i wouldnt be suprised if it were a wire, looks like there had been 2 previous remote starter installs, as well as my manditory vehicle immobilizer. i had to rewire my immobilizer into the new harness. $240 for the harness and switch(AC Delco) from the local parts place(piston ring), seems like a lot for some wires and a switch. asside from figuring out all the immobilizer wiring, the hardest part was removing the ignition tumbler to get the colomn shroud off, just ended up cutting/breaking it off, or the tamper proof bolts on the switch itself, just used needle nose to get them out. im glad i did it myself, but wouldnt recommend it to anyone unless theyre very persistant and mechanically minded.

thanks for the great input and help everyone.