1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transmission Fluid Change Cost?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by MWright936, Mar 31, 2009.

1. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I called to get a price quote on a transmission fluid change at a local shop that I trust. They quoted me about $130 to drain, replace filter, and refill with new fluid (no flush). That seemed awfully high to me. Is that about right, or should I look elsewhere? If it's going to cost that much, I'll do it myself.
  2. blue99tahoe

blue99tahoe New Member

I know a cavalier is way different but about 8 yrs ago had a full trans service done on my 2000 cavalier and it was only 70 bucks. Done at one of the most repected trans shops by me.
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Matt,

That sounds a little high for Texas. In California it would be a bargain! <BG>

What I would do is look on line at Transmission Shop Websites for coupons and specials. If your oil is still red there's no need to flush it unless you want to get all the old oil out and change to synthetic. On the other hand if your oil is turning tan / yellow color I would have it flushed as well as a pan drop and filter change.
    What I do with my vehicles is add synthetic oil to the good OE fill @ 30K when the oil is still red. Then again at 60K. If you change your oil this way it should always remain clean and red in color. I never waste my money flushing the transmission unless the fluid has gone too far and started to turn brown.
  4. MWright936

Yeah, the fluid is still red, and may be good for a while. I was just looking in to it for preventative maintenance. The truck has a little over 80K right now, but I bought it last year with 60K. I'm not sure if it had been changed before I bought it or not. I figure it's better to be safe than sorry and get it changed.
  5. MWright936

BUMP

Anyone else have opinions on the cost?
  6. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

I know a few months ago when I brought my truck in for the oil change (usually do it myself) its was about that for a tranny fluid job too... I didn' thave them do it though, I did i tmyself, so I could be wrong.
  7. mjalstad

mjalstad Rockstar 100 Posts

1.1 hours of labor (I believe that is the book labor time) = $70-$100 depending on the shop

transmission filter and gasket kit = $20-$40 depending on the shop

transmission fluid = $15-$40 depending on if they use Dex-3 or Dex-6

That comes to $105-$180 so $130 is pretty average. At the shop I used to work at we probably would have charged about $135 for that.
  8. MWright936

Thanks for the input guys (and gal)! I think I will probably end up doing it myself.
  9. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The shop I use charges $75 to do a normal fluid and filter change. They just did my mom's Lincoln for $165, but that included switching the fluid to Amsoil transmission fluid (11 quarts at almost $10/quart).

It's not hard to do your self, just messy. If you do it, make sure when you pull the old filter out that the o-ring comes out with the filter. If it is not on the tube that goes in the trans, you will have to find it in the hole and drag it out.
  10. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I just did mine after plowing season, just drain and spin on filter. It took 7 Qts of AMSOIL ATF. I plan on doing a complete drain after next winter.