1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transmission Fluid Change

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by pikefisher, Jul 12, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. pikefisher

pikefisher New Member

How hard is it to change the trans fluid on a Silverado 2005 Z71 or is it better to have it done at a privet shop?
  2. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member 100 Posts

What i would do is...
    1.Drain fluid
    2.Drop pan
    3.Change filter with the proper new one
    4.Install pan with new gasket/gasket maker(Install plug)
    5.Fill with new fluid to proper level(check GM specs)
    6.Then pat yourself on the back and crack a cold one(or a couple)!BOOM!
  3. pikefisher

pikefisher New Member

Thanks Chevy :Drain the fluid, years ago you would drop the pan, and the fluid would run out as you took out the bolts, is that it? Also, the last time I had mine changed on a explorer they changed it threw the tubes in front of the motor, 70.00 dollars. Is one way better than the other?
  4. RVJ

RVJ Member 100 Posts

This is exactly what I would do also.
  5. pikefisher

pikefisher New Member

Thanks guys: I was wondering about the fluid in the torq converter, not enough to worry about? And ten four on the Beer.
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

There are different theories on a trans flush rather than a fluid and filter change. If you change the filter and fluid by dropping the pan you do not get the fluid out of the torq converter. A flush leaves your dirty filter in, but changes the fluid in the torq converter. But, I have heard people say that a flush can make particles or dirt move from the place that they are sitting now and not doing harm to a place that they can do harm. I personally prefer the drop the pan method. It has worked for years without an issue.
  7. RVJ

RVJ Member 100 Posts

In my opinion, the fluid not changed in the converter is less likely to cause problems than the stuff stirred up with a flush, unless you have brown burnt smelling fluid, then that's a whole new ball game.
  8. Rockman18

Rockman18 New Member

I have an '04 Sierra 2500 Hd with 186k and am going to use the Amsoil transmission flush before I switch over to there transmission fluid and was wondering about the fluid left in the converter if it will affect the performance of the new stuff because of the crap that the flush fluid breaks free. I would just be pouring it into the tranny not using an actual flushing machine. Any thoughts or suggestions on that?
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  9. zippstripp

zippstripp New Member

What I do in my shop is recommend both. Trans. service w/flush.