Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Transmission Fluid/Filter 2003 Suburban 2500 6.0L

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by meash20, Mar 19, 2009.

1. meash20

meash20 Rockstar

I'm planning on changing the Filter and Fluid in my 03 'Burban.... Any gotchas I should know about before I start?

The tranny does have a drain plug which seems helpful... Just looking for some input before I get started!

thanks,
    -matt-

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It's a straight forward job Matt. Make sure you have a big drain pan cause it can get messy. Leave a couple of bolts finger tight in the back and pry the front loose if it's stuck. Make sure to use a good pan gasket and fill it to the add mark. Road test it and get it hot before adding any more fluid as you don't want it over the full / hot mark.

Jim

3. meash20

meash20 Rockstar

Cool, yeah everything I've read, seen makes it look pretty straight forward.

Follow-Up Question: The truck has 158K miles on it... any value in using a synthetic ATF ?

-matt-

4. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Using synthetic fluids is always a great idea, This is a fact. I'm not saying it because I sell it.

CAPACITIES
    5.3L
    Automatic Transmission, 4L80-E Initial Fill..........7.7 quarts
    Automatic Transmission, 4L60-E Initial Fill..........5.0 quarts
    Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
    4 speed 4L80-E..........14.0 quarts
    4 speed 4L60-E..........11.0 quarts

6.0L & 8.0L
    Automatic Transmission, 4L85-E Initial Fill..........7.7 quarts
    Automatic Transmission, 4L80-E Initial Fill..........7.7 quarts
    Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
    4 speed 4L85-E..........14.0 quarts