1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transmission Flush

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bzboardco, Jan 14, 2009.

1. bzboardco

bzboardco Rockstar 100 Posts

I have read a thread on here and some other forums and it seems that it is about 50/50 for it and against it. My truck has 120,000 miles on it so I am thinking I need to make the choice...btw it has never been done on it before. What do you guys think :neutral:
  2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You are correct you will get many diffrent ansers.
    I will prolly flush mine around 75,000 and then at 50k intervals.
    I would say go for it. :great:
    After all it cant hurt anything!:money:
  3. heaviechevie

heaviechevie Member

I was always told it was ok to do it if it had been done once before. If it's over 90,0000 miles and doing it for the first time not to. But I never listened. I think you might be ok if the fluid isn't really burnt. I did mine and as far as I know it wasn't ever done and I have around 190,000 miles.
  4. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

I was in the transmission business for years, here is what could happen if you change your fluid with that kind of mileage on it. The trans will start slipping or just stop working all together. And here is the reason why, new trans fluid has a mild detergent in it, it will basically clean all the friction material off of the clutch packs and steals. I have seen this done many of times so if you want to make your tranny guy happy go ahead and change it.
  5. werty

werty Rockstar 100 Posts

I did the 93 z71 at 203000.......last summer granted it was just the fluid in the pan and the filter....shes strong as ever now
    so i guess its a touch and go situation
  6. bzboardco

bzboardco Rockstar 100 Posts

Knocking on wood real hard!

Luckily I have been fortunate with this truck. I change the oil religiously and I also change the air filter and fuel filter. This truck still has the same plugs and wires from the factory. So I am trying to knock out all the maintenance that I have been putting off. The truck runs perfect. I just know they need to get done.